Sometimes overlooked, even forgotten, the bedroom often loses out to expansive and expensive kitchen and bath renos. Budgets depleted, energy low, we barely throw our sheets on the bed before we literally call it a night.
We think it's time to take our bedroom back to the basics, strip away the layers and start from scratch. What contributes to a great night's sleep? Our list includes a firm mattress, some crisp linens worthy of a fancy hotel, a dreamy fragrance, a soothing paint colour, and a little peace of mind in the shape of an eco-approved option or two.
The best hotel linens you can buy
- Crisp, white, 220 thread count linens will have you sweetly dreaming in high-end hotel splendour. We like: Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Bedding, $90.
- Chic and sophisticated white, 100% Egyptian cotton bedding with mocha-coloured piping adds a groovy hotel-chic vibe to your room. We like: Collection Germain Moka Bedding, $370.
- Black or ivory satin-stitch embroidered sheets add an extra touch of luxe sophistication. Purchase pieces separately to customize your look. We like: W Hotel Classic Hotel Bedding, $70.
- For a touch of Italian luxury go glam with a 100% mercerized Egyptian sateen cotton sheet set. We like: Hyatt Luxury Linens, $270 US.
- Make your bed the French auberge way, using a second flat sheet in place of a fitted sheet. We like: Auberge Saint-Antoine Linens, $34.
Relaxing room scents
- Use a cedarwood and cardamom mist to create a delicately aromatic bedroom scent. We like: Essence of Dreams Room Mist from Fruits & Passion, $7.
- Eucalyptus, rosemary and peppermint oils combine to create a soothing scent. We like: Remedies for Roll Night Time from Neal's Yard Remedies, $11.
- Sweeten your dreams by misting your pillow with calming chamomile oil and gentle jujube date extract. We like: Deep Sleep Dream Pillow & Body Mist from The Body Shop, $16.
- For a wonderful fragrance that also provides a little romantic mood lighting try a sweet lilac scented candle. We like: Slatkin & Co. Lilac Blossom Scented Candle from Bath & Body Works, $10.
- Help promote hours of restful shut-eye by adding a few drops of mandarin oil to unscented body lotion or directly onto pulse points. We like: Intelligent Nutrients Aromatics Innercalm Wind Down from Pistachio, $65.