Apr 17, 2009
organic bedding from west elm
Apr 17, 2009
organic bedding from west elm
Follow me on Twitter! Do you have a product you'd like to recommend for this blog? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Can you tell which bathroom is high and which is low?
Can you tell which bathroom is high and which is low?
We designed a luxe bathroom using two different budgets. Can you tell which is the high and which is the low?
We designed a luxe old-meets-new bathroom using both a flood and a trickle of cash flow. Can you tell the difference?
1 Brass Colebrook 1041 pendant light in Aged Brass, Universal Lamp, Hudson Valley Lighting, $375.
2 Gold-leafed carved wood Empire-style mirror, Barrymore Furniture, $4,730.
3 Unisex cotton Antiochia bathrobe in Grey & White, Au Lit Fine Linens, $139.
4 Carrara marble and antique-brass-finished iron Darcy side table, Pottery Barn, $399 US.
5 Hand-carved oak and linen Louis sidechair, Art Shoppe, $699.
7 Hammam-style cotton Antiochia hand towel in Grey & White, Au Lit Fine Linens, $34.
8 Brass floor-mounted Traditional tub filler in Champagne Bronze with cross handle, Delta Faucet, $2,425.
9 Framed Harmony artwork by H. Kalisher, 24" x 24", Barrymore Furniture, $400.
1 Polished brass-plated steel geometric pendant light, CB2, $120.
2 Gold-leafed metal and MDF Valonia mirror, Barrymore Furniture, $810.
3 Unisex washed linen bathrobe in Light Grey, H&M, $60.
4 Carrara marble and steel Solo side table in Gold, Shelter, $299.
5 Lacquered oak and linen blend Louis side chair in Beige, Structube, $299.
7 Hammam-style cotton hand towel, HomeSense, $8 per pair.
8 Rubinet brass Raven tub filler in Satin Brass with cross handles, Taps Bath Centre, $2,199.
Harking back to the late 19th century, free-standing cast iron clawfoot bathtubs flooded the decor world roughly a decade ago. The traditional tub has enjoyed a variety of modern manifestations and manipulations. One trend we’re particularly fond of is painting the tub’s exterior black, a clever DIY that adds a dramatic edge. But oceania has done one better: the Milano bathtub replicates the look without the work, and (bonus!) it’s made of acrylic, so it’s lightweight, easing installation.
Oceania Influence free-standing acrylic Milano bathtub in White & Black, Taps Bath Centre, $2,299; Arto handmade concrete Conche floor tiles in Charcoal Gray with smooth finish, Creekside Tile, $18 per sq. ft.
Whatever your style, a set of lush white terry towels is essential to bath time. Don’t let this simple staple fool you: all towels may look alike, but higher quality means a better feel as well as superior performance and durability. So read the fine print before making your pick – regardless of your budget.
1 Double-sided cotton Portofino face cloth, $13, hand towel, $23, and bath towel, $34, all in White, Au Lit Fine Linens.
2 Style at Home Collection double-sided three-ply ring-spun cotton face cloth, $13, hand towel, $17, and bath towel, $26, all in White, Sears.
3 Canadian Living double-sided one-ply ring-spun Egyptian cotton face cloth, $10, hand towel, $15, and bath towel, $20, all in White, Bed Bath & Beyond.
4 Springmaid one-sided two-ply combed Egyptian cotton face cloth, $6, hand towel, $9, and bath towel, $12, all in White, Walmart.
Our luxe loo gets its undeniable grandeur from the large gold-framed mirror. Similar vintage-style looking glasses are popping up everywhere, and we’ve taken the liberty of rounding up a few of our faves. Whether you prefer ornate ornamentation or minimal embellishment, we’ve got an option for you. Good luck picking the fairest of them all!
1 Gold-leafed metal and MDF Valonia, 42" x 59", Barrymore Furniture, $810.
2 Gold-leafed wood louis Philippe Gilt, 34" x 56", Restoration Hardware, $545 US.
3 Iron Gleaming Primrose in Gold, 39" x 39", Anthropologie, $398 US.
4 Made Goods gold-leafed wood Philippe, 30" x 64", The Cross Decor & Design, $1,575.
When a popular piece transcends trendy to become timeless, the decor world benefits. Such is the case with the crowd-pleasing peshtemal, or hammam towel, a go-to that bears all the makings of a classic. With origins in turkish bathhouses, it’s traditionally handmade from organic fibres in muted tones and features tassel edging and decorative stripes for a touch of frill. This towel is also flat-woven and compact but dries fast and wicks moisture well. Best of all, it’s equally at home in the kitchen and in the bath. Hammam-style cotton Antiochia hand towel in Grey & White, Au Lit Fine Linens, $34. Le Bouquet de Lili bar soap, Lothantique, $7.
WANT TO WIN A THERMADOR DISHWASHER?
Click here for your chance to win Thermador's fully flush stainless steel panel Star-Sapphire dishwasher!
FULL CONTEST RULES & REGULATIONS
1. The « Style at Home Thermador Bosch Contest » contest is held by (Groupe TVA) Style at Home . Groupe TVA Style at home is collectively hereinafter named: the “contest organizers”. The contest runs on Styleathome.com, from August 22, 2016 to November 24, 2016 at 23h59 ET (hereinafter: the “contest period”).
2. This contest is open to all persons residing in Canada of at least 18 years old of age. The following persons are excluded; employees, agents and representatives of Québecor Média inc., of Groupe TVA inc., of Style at Home, and Thermador of their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and promotional agencies, partners, suppliers of prizes, materials and services related to this contest, or any other party directly linked to the holding of this contest, or their brother, sister, children, mother, father, their legal or common-law spouse and individuals with whom such employees, agents and representatives are domiciled.
HOW TO ENTER
3. No purchase necessary. To participate in the contest, you simply have to enter the contest by visiting Styleathome.com. Go to the « Contest » section and click on the « Style at Home Thermador Bosch Contest » icon in order to register. After, you can fill in the electronic entry form.
i) Once you have accessed the electronic entry form make sure to indicate your exact personal information as follows: first name, last name, complete address with postal code and country. It is every participant’s responsibility to indicate a valid phone number where he can be reached between 9AM to 5PM during weekdays. Send your electronic entry form no later than November 24, 2016 at 23h59 ET. Upon reception of your registration’s confirmation message, you will be automatically entered in the contest. Cookies must be accepted in order to participate to the contest.
Entrants must respect the following limits, otherwise the contest organizers reserve the right to cancel one or several of their entries :
• One participation per person per day during the contest period;
• A person cannot register more than one e-mail address per person, in the case where a person has more than one;
• A person entering more than once a day or using multiple email addresses will be automatically removed from the ballot list;
5. The following prize is offered :
One (1) prize will be given: Thermador – Sapphire Dishwasher
The total prize value is : 3,079.00 $ CAN
The following conditions apply:
• The prize is not exchangeable and non-transferable; and
• The prize has to be accepted as it is; and
• The contest organizers will determine with the winner the date; and
• If the prize or a portion of it is not used, no compensation will be given.
6. On November 25, 2016 at 10:00 am, in Toronto, at the office of Groupe TVA inc., a random selection of entry form will be held among all eligible entry forms registered in conformity with section 3, in order to attribute the prize described above.
7. The odds of a participant’s entry form being randomly selected depend upon the number of eligible entry forms registered in conformity with the regulations and rules.
HOW TO CLAIM A PRIZE
8. In order to be declared a winner, each selected entrant must :
a) Have answered correctly the mathematical skill-testing question that appears on the release form; and
b) Be contacted by phone and/or email by the contest organizers within three (3) days following the random selection; and
c) Sign the declaration and exemption form that will be given to him and return to the contest organizers within 5 days; and
d) Abide to all conditions related to the Prize;
After the declaration and exemption form is correctly filled out and signed, the contest organizers will contact the winner to determine how the Prize will be remitted (by mail or on hand delivery)
9. Failing to comply with one of the conditions stated in the section above or any of the conditions provided in these Contest Rules, the entry of the selected entrant will be cancelled without any liability to the contest organizers whatsoever, and a new draw for that prize will be held according to these Contest Rules until an entrant is selected and declared a winner.
10. Verification. Entry forms are subject to verification by the contest organizers, and contest entrants agree to cooperate fully with contest organizers in such respect. Any entry form which is, as the case may be, incomplete, fraudulent, sent late, that does not bear the correct answer to the mathematical skill-testing question will automatically be rejected and will not give right to a prize, and contest organizers shall have no liability in such respect, or in respect of lost, misdirected of garbled communication, printing, prizing or distributor errors.
11. Non-conforming entries. The contest organizers reserve the right to disqualify any person or cancel one or many entries of any person participating in this contest or trying to participate by means contrary to these Contest Rules or in a manner which is unfair to the other entrants (e.g.: entries exceeding the permitted limit, computer hacking, etc.). Such person may be referred to the appropriate judicial authorities.
12. Acceptance of prize. Any prize must be accepted as described in the present Contest Rules and cannot be transferred to another person, substituted for another prize nor exchanged in part or in whole for a sum of money, subject to what is stated in the following section. Prize is accepted “as is” without any warranty whatsoever.
13. Substitution of prize. In the event where, for reasons not related to the winners, the contest organizers cannot award a prize (or part of a prize) as described in these Contest Rules, they reserve the right to award a prize (or part of a prize) of the same nature and of equivalent value or, at their sole discretion, the cash value of the prize (or part of the prize) as mentioned in these Contest Rules.
14. Refusal to accept a prize. The refusal of a randomly selected person to accept a prize according to the terms and conditions of these Contest Rules releases the contest organizers of any obligation related to that prize towards that person.
15. Liability – prize’s supplier. Each participant who is selected for a prize recognizes that upon reception of the confirmation of his status as the winner of the prize, the execution of the services in respect to the prize is the sole responsibility of the supplier of the prize, in this case, (Groupe TVA inc.) Style at Home. A declaration to this effect may be included in the declaration and exemption form.
16. Liability limit – use of prize. Any selected person releases Québecor Média inc., (Groupe TVA inc.), Style at Home, Thermador and their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and promotional agencies, their employees, agents and representatives from any and all liability for any and all damages he/she may suffer from the acceptance or use of his/her prize. In order to be declared a winner, any selected person agrees, if required, prior to obtaining his/her prize, to sign a Declaration Form to such effect.Erreur ! Signet non défini.
17. Liability limit – running of the contest. Québecor Média inc., Groupe TVA inc., and (Groupe TVA inc.), Style at Home, Thermador and their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and promotional agencies, their employees, agents and representatives are not liable for faulty computer components, software, or communication lines, relating to any transmission that is faulty, incomplete, incomprehensible or erased by any computer or network that could limit the possibility or prevent any person from participating in this contest. Québecor Média inc., (Groupe TVA inc.), Style at Home, Thermador and their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and promotional agencies, their employees, agents and representatives also will not be held liable for any damages or loss that could arise, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from downloading any Internet page, any software or any form and by the transmission of any data regarding the participation in this contest.
18. Modification. The contest organizers reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this contest, in whole or in part, in the case of the occurrence of an event, an error or any human intervention that could corrupt or affect the administration, safety, impartiality or the running of the contest as foreseen in these Contest Rules, subject to the approval of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux du Québec, if required. In any case, the contest organizers, their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and promotional agencies, the suppliers of products or services related to this contest as well as their employees, agents and representatives cannot be held liable to award more prizes than those indicated in these Contest Rules or to award prizes otherwise than in compliance with these Contest Rules.
19. Impossibility to act – including labour dispute Québecor Média inc., (Groupe TVA inc.), Style at Home, Thermador and their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and promotional agencies, their employees, agents and representatives will not assume any liability whatsoever in any case where their incapacity to act would result from a fact or a situation beyond their control or a strike, lock-out or any other labour dispute in their establishment or in establishments of organizations or enterprises which services are used for holding this contest.
20. Liability limit– participation. Any person who participates or tries to participate in this contest releases the contest organizers, their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and/or promotional agencies, their employees, agents and representatives, from any and all liability for damages which he/she could suffer from participating or trying to participate in this contest.
21. Authorization. By entering this contest, any winner authorizes the contest organizers, their partners and their representatives to use, if required, his/her name, photograph, likeness, declaration related to the prize, place of residence and/or voice without remuneration whatsoever and that, at their discretion and without limit as for the period of use, in any media and on a worldwide scale, for publicity purposes or for any purpose that will or may be pertinent.
22. Communication with entrants. No communication or correspondence will be exchanged with entrants in the context of this contest except with those selected for a prize.
23. Decisions of the contest organizers. All decisions of the contest organizers or those of their representatives regarding this contest are final and binding, subject to any decision by the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux du Québec in relation to matters under its jurisdiction.
24. Litigation. Any litigation respecting the conduct or organisation of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
25. Identification of the entrant. For the purposes of these Contest Rules, the entrant is the person whose name appears on the entry form and it is to this person to whom the prize will be awarded if he/she is selected and declared a winner.
26. Precedence: If an article in this regulation were to be declared or deemed illegal, unenforceable or invalid by a competent authority, then this article would be considered null and non-written, but all other items would not be affected and would find application in limits and authorized by law
27. Rules contest. This is the official regulations and rules for the contest « Style at Home Thermador Bosch Contest ».
28. Personal information. The personal information collected on the participants of this contest are used only for the administration of the contest. No commercial communication or other, not linked to the contest, will be sent to the participants by the contest organizers except if the participants have authorized the contest organizers, and in the case of Style at Home, Thermador it’s affiliates, to send such communication by checking the opt-in on the electronic entry form.
Buying guide: The truth about thread count
Is there anything better than sliding into a bed laden with good quality sheets? At the end of the day, I can't wait to stretch out under my fresh, soft covers and nestle my face into a good cotton-covered pillow. We spend a third of our lives in bed so quality sheets are key, but how do you get quality for your money? There's no doubt that most consumers believe the higher the thread count, the better the quality, but this isn't entirely true. With the help and expertise of Joanna Goodman, owner of Au Lit Fine Linens, we expose the truth about thread count and what it takes to find quality bed sheets.
What is thread count, really?
Simply put, thread count is the number of threads woven into one square inch of fabric. This number is based on the threads woven horizontally ("weft") and vertically ("warp"). Extra threads can also be woven into the weft threads to increase the thread count. These added threads are called "picks" and are added in the overall count, which is how some sheets end up having thread counts in the thousands. This is why the idea that high counts equal better quality isn't really accurate. Consider this: Joanna says most weavers will say the maximum number of threads that can be woven into one square inch of fabric is 500 to 600. Though the number is arguable and, according to Joanna, "depends on the mill you deal with," it gives you an idea of where the line is between single-ply, unpicked weaves and ones that add threads here and there to bump up the count.
What to look for when buying sheets
Joanna lists three things to look for on the label: if it's Egyptian cotton, where it's woven and, lastly, the thread count. While thread count is a bit misunderstood, the buzz around Egyptian cotton is true. "The very best cotton in the world is grown in Egypt. So Egyptian cotton will be of a better quality," Joanna says. She also recommends pima cotton, which is grown in America, "though not quite as exceptional as Egyptian." When it comes to weaving, however, she swears by the Italians as being the "master weavers of the world" due to their "long tradition of weaving" and use of the best Egyptian cotton. Be sure the label says 100% or pure Egyptian cotton though, otherwise it may only contain a small percentage of the good stuff. As for the thread count, look for a minimum of 200. From there, it's all about preference!
What to avoid when buying sheets
Joanna's one key piece of advice is to watch out for extremely low priced, high thread count sheet sets. A complete sheet set with a high thread count for $100 or less is probably not the dream bargain you think it is. As Joanna believes, "you always get what you pay for." The price tag for bed linens will vary depending on the sheet size and what items you're buying, such as a duvet cover, sheet sets, or pillowcases. "A superior quality 200 thread count queen set (including flat, fitted, two pillowcases), made of Egyptian cotton and woven in Europe, could retail reasonably for about $150-$250," says Joanna.
What do you prefer?
After going through the quality checklist, go with what feels best for you. If you're looking for a durable linen, Joanna recommends any percale from thread count 200 to 800. Percale is any cotton woven with a 200 thread count or higher and will be more durable than a cotton satin of the same thread count. It's also less likely to pill than cotton satin because it has a denser weave. Love the feel of a cotton button down shirt? Joanna advises a crisp, dense 200 thread count percale. Prefer a silkier sheet? Go for a 300 to 600 cotton satin. If you want lighter sheets, Joanna says, a 400 thread count sheet can be soft and light, while an 800 percale would be soft and dense. The higher the thread count, the more likely multiple-ply thread is used or picks are added, making the fabric denser and heavier.
Now you know that quality is not just about the number, so don't let numbers rule your bed! Remember what to look for on the label and be wary of too-low prices for supposedly high quality items. Beyond that, go with what you prefer. Get a good feel of the sheets before buying. Whether you're unzipping the packaging or lying down on a display bed, make sure the fabric feels good against your skin and soon you'll be having sweet dreams!
Find out how to keep your new linens crisp and clean with our tips to whiter-than-white sheets.
Chic dressing room.
We transform an attic space into a stylish dressing room on a ready-to-wear and an haute couture budget. Can you tell the difference?
1 Carl Robinson Edition 5 Reflect Edgware wallpaper in CB54400, Crown Wallpaper & Fabrics, $200 per double roll, through designers. 2 Large faux shagreen box in Seal Grey, Absolutely, $429. 3 Lacquered silver-plated brass Traditional Mirrored tray, Ethan Allen, $319. 4 Bernhardt Jet Set maple-veneered MDF Door cabinet with gold-leafed MDF base, Zilli Home Interiors, $1,349. 5 Hand-knotted bamboo silk Opulence rug in Silver, 8' x 10', Imperial Carpet and Home, $3,243. 6 Track-armed winged chaise longue with polyester Venice fabric in 61 and nailhead trim in Silver, Union Lighting and Furnishings, $2,220. 7 Designers Guild lambswool-blend Zari Graphite throw in Grey, Putti Fine Furnishings, $295. 8 Bonaldo painted-steel Fortuny side table in Glossy White, Suite 22 Interiors, $500. 9 Vintage Italian ornate carved gilded-wood mirror, Carrocel, $1,850.
1 Carl Robinson Edition 9 Romantique Ida wallpaper in CB90009, Crown Wallpaper & Fabrics, $100 per double roll, through designers. 2 Medium lacquered-wood Eggshell Inlay box with mosaic mallard eggshell pieces and crackle finish, Ethan Allen, $159. 3 Painted-aluminum tray, HomeSense, $13. 4 Particleboard Sektion wall cabinet in White, 36" x 15" x 30", IKEA, $55; fibreboard Ringhult doors in High Gloss White (customized), 18" x 30", IKEA, $84 each; birch Skäralid base (customized), 15" x 30", IKEA, $59. 5 Hand-knotted wool and bamboo silk Atrium rug in C6 Beige, 8' x 10', Imperial Carpet and Home, $1,317. 6 Stocksund chaise longue with cotton-blend Nolhaga fabric in Gray-Beige and stained-beech legs in Black, IKEA, $639. 7 Klippan lambswool Samba throw in Grey, Likely General, $175. 8 Lacquered painted-rubberwood Lamsa side table in White, Jysk, $70. 9 Gilded cast-resin Chinoiserie mirror in Gold, Ethan Allen, $1,489.
Any budget can get in some storage, especially if it's as glam as these cabinets. Keeping a small area, like this attic, clean and organized is the key to enjoying the space so make sure it's kept that way with a stylish piece for a fabulous room. High (left): Bernhardt Jet Set maple-veneered MDF Door cabinet with gold-leafed MDF base, Zilli Home Interiors, $1,349. Low (right): Particleboard Sektion wall cabinet in White, 36" x 15" x 30", IKEA, $55; fibreboard Ringhult doors in High Gloss White (customized), 18" x 30", IKEA, $84 each; birch Skäralid base (customized), 15" x 30", IKEA, $59.
This dressing room is meant to make getting ready feel like the best part of your day. But if the morning is moving slow, or you need a break to scroll through Instagram, take a quick lounge on the perfect seat to keep you feeling like a glamorous gal. High (left): Track-armed winged chaise longue with polyester Venice fabric in 61 and nailhead trim in Silver, Union Lighting and Furnishings, $2,220. Low (right): Stocksund chaise longue with cotton-blend Nolhaga fabric in Gray-Beige and stained-beech legs in Black, IKEA, $639.
Who could even imagine leaving the house without a quick look in the mirror? Whether you're feeling the sleepy Sundays or you're pumped for TGIF this mirror will reassure you that you're looking (and should be feeling) stylish. High (left): Vintage Italian ornate carved gilded-wood mirror, Carrocel, $1,850. Low (right): Gilded cast-resin Chinoiserie mirror in Gold, Ethan Allen, $1,489.
Function over style? Why not have both? This side table is the perfect addition to any room really, but we love it for displaying flowers, holding your morning coffee or keeping your favourite book close by. High (left): Bonaldo painted-steel Fortuny side table in Glossy White, Suite 22 Interiors, $500. Low (right): Lacquered painted-rubberwood Lamsa side table in White, Jysk, $70.
Every house (and nearly every room) needs a vanity tray to keep things looking tidy, organized and trendy. Staying organized is the easiest way to impress so toss perfume bottles, jewellery and little trinkets to keep track of your every day essentials. High (left): Lacquered silver-plated brass Traditional Mirrored tray, Ethan Allen, $319. Low (right): Painted-aluminum tray, HomeSense, $13.
If you know what you want to make your room just right, do it! Furniture, like cabinets, may come with hardware and extra accessories, but that's merely a suggestion. Head out and find the perfect accessories to complete the look and the room. High (left): Bernhardt Jet Set maple-veneered MDF Door cabinet with gold-leafed MDF base, Zilli Home Interiors, $1,349. Low (right): Rings, screw eyes, washers and grommets, The Home Depot, $15. See how to make this cabinet and customize it yourself here.
Our dressing room get its punch from the sloped ceiling's bold floral wallpaper. You can mimic this feature, whether you're looking to splurge or save. High Carl Robinson Edition 5 Reflect Edgware in CB54400, Crown Wallpaper & Fabrics, $200 per double roll, through designers. Medium Anna French Wild Flora Bouquet in Gold, Thibaut, $163 per double roll, through designers. Low Carl Robinson Edition 9 Romantique Ida in CB90009, Crown Wallpaper & Fabrics, $100 per double roll, through designers.
Skip art in your dressing room – use your best-loved shoes instead, employing floating shelves and picture ledges as display spaces. The pieces come in different sizes, which makes them ideal for an irregular-shaped wall like this one. Particleboard Lack SHELVES, 75", IKEA, $30 each. Fibreboard Mosslanda picture ledges, IKEA, from $13. Mirrored box, HomeSense, $25. Laquered-wood Mid-Century jewellery box in White Lacquer, 15" x 11" x 8", West Elm, $239.