The best of barbecue sauce
3 things you may not know about barbecue sauce
- There's a flavour for everyone, but the five basic ingredients are tomato paste, sugar, onions, vinegar and chili peppers.
- It burns really easily. Apply your sauce when the meat is nearly done, or serve it on the side.
- Most store-bought barbecue sauce is full of artificial sugar. For a healthier version, make your own with either honey or cane sugar.
1 tip you can't live without
- Keep your basting brush dry and fresh between weekend feasts by storing it in a cup of salt to draw out any moisture. Come Friday, just shake off the salt.
2 ways to try barbecue sauce right now
- In a veggie dish. Try grilling a piece of firm tofu, then topping with barbecue sauce and roasted onions and peppers for a nutritious sandwich switch.
- With a caffeine kick. Mixing freshly brewed espresso with your sauce adds bold flavour and tempers your choice of spices.
1 barbecue sauce to look for at the grocery store
- Lassonde Specialties barbecue sauce made with Canadian Club Whisky. We love the smokin' honey garlic flavour.
1 tool you can't live without
- A basting mop coats your BBQ'd meat using a gentle cotton head that won't damage browned skin. Look for one with a detachable head for easy cleanup or replacement.
1 barbecue event not to be missed
- BBQ on the Bow—Canada's oldest barbecue festival and competition held annually in Calgary. Chow down is August 30 and 31.