This master bedroom and ensuite demonstrate that neutral is anything but boring.
This master bedroom and ensuite demonstrate that neutral is anything but boring.
This master bedroom and ensuite prove a neutral scheme is anything but boring.
After purchasing a semi-detached dwelling in one of Toronto’s sought-after midtown neighbourhoods, this young couple quickly abandoned the home’s wonky layout and dated decor in order to welcome the opposite: a clean-lined, contemporary and predominately white interior. The challenge then became making the monochromatic scheme come alive. The solution? The expert touch of Croma Design’s Ryan Martin and Amy Kent. “The homeowners wanted a house that was modern but not stuffy or sterile,” says Ryan. Here, we look to the three-storey abode’s master bedroom and ensuite for decor lessons that might just have you embracing a neutral palette and kicking colour to the curb.
During the reno, designers Ryan Martin and Amy Kent opted for an expansive window with distinct black framing. “We could have done a white frame, but adding that touch of black gives life and character to the otherwise clean-looking master bedroom,” says Ryan. This design choice also draws attention to the property’s verdant back garden.
Thanks to its rich woven quality the grasscloth-clad accent wall is the understated showpiece of the room. Says Ryan: “You can see the seams where the wallpaper lines up, but that’s what shows off the material’s texture and embellishes the look.”
When it was time to decide where to splurge, the homeowners knew they couldn’t do without oil-finished oak flooring, which is carried throughout the house. The timeless grey-brown shade anchors the space and lends an additional layer of warmth.
A wall of custom built-in closets is any homeowner’s dream, but that’s not to say function should come before style. In addition to providing ample storage, these units feature subtle moulding that adds architectural presence to the bedroom. Similar built-in wardrobes also flank the hallway that leads to the ensuite.
It’s often the subtle details that make or break the look of a space. The key, explains Ryan, is to create cohesion. For this modern ensuite, the designers strategically chose metal faucets that coordinate with the other dark accents in the room – including the shower door hinges.
The stylish washstand was the starting point for the space’s contemporary scheme and helped steer the clients away from an all-white aesthetic. The washstand’s Carrara marble top has soft grey undertones, which add depth to the look,” says Ryan.
“It was important to design a nice, clean bathroom that wasn’t too stark,” says Ryan, speaking to his and Amy’s decision to include bright brass-finished elements like the sconces and mirrors. Overall, the contrasting metallic pieces add a touch of glitz. To establish an elegant-meets-edgy look, the design duo used Carrara marble throughout in various shapes, such as rectangular wall tiles and hexagonal floor tiles. “We even used a dark grout to enhance the formats of the tiles,” says Ryan.
Get a luxe look in under $100 with these beautiful decor accessories.Looking for big impact on a small budget? We challenge some of Canada’s designers to share how they achieve a modern luxe look for less than $100.
“Splurge on a marble tile backsplash – a small area like this can come in for less than $100 if you do the labour yourself.” - Nam Dang-Mitchell, Nam Dang-Mitchell Design.
“Sheathe an obtrusive bulkhead in reclaimed barnboard to add character and interest. The wood we used here was actually found in an abandoned barn in the country.” - Nam Dang-Mitchell, Nam Dang-Mitchell Design.
“Make a sculptural centrepiece inspired by real cherry blossom branches. Strip the bark from an interestingly shaped branch and remove the buds from a silk flower or two. Glue the buds onto the branch in an organic pattern for an effect that will last for seasons.” - Ryan Martin & Amy Kent, Croma Design.
“A chic way to save money while searching for your dream dining room light fixture is to install an ultra-affordable three-foot-wide Chinese paper lantern. The white globe looks fantastic, plus it glows softly when lit to create a wonderful atmosphere for dining.” - Colleen McGill, McGill Design Group.
“Make a bland room bold by painting stripes on the walls: vertical for low ceilings, horizontal for high.” - Scott Yetman, Scott Yetman Design.
“Luxe up a room by upgrading your toss cushion inserts from fibre to decadent down. IKEA ones are cheap – they’re the best-kept secret!” - David Overholt, David Overholt Interior Design, 416-944-0358.
“When I travel, I love to buy vintage prints and fabrics. Framing the prints in inexpensive frames and creating a collage of photos is a great way to make a big impact. I also love to stretch the fabrics on frames made for canvases as they are works of art in their own right.” - Alykhan Velji, Alykhan Velji designs.
“If the word stencilling conjures images of bad 1980s sponge designs, prepare to be amazed. Royal Design Studio has amazing Moroccan and Indian-style stencils you can use on furniture, stair risers, floors and walls for an ornate, impactful look.” - Samantha Sacks, Sam Sacks Design.
“Why not test out your creative skills and try your hand at some abstract expressionist painting? Grab a canvas and some acrylic paints in your chosen colour scheme and, who knows, you could be the next Jackson Pollock!” - Jessica Kelly, Jessica Kelly Design.
“A ceiling medallion adds instant architectural appeal, formality and elegance to a space. These ones were less than $75 each!” - Trevor Ciona & Curtis Elmy, Atmosphere Interior Design.
“Make personalized art with your own Hipstamatic or Instagram snapshots – the apps have beautiful filters, and smartphones take good-quality photos. Choose an inexpensive frame and splurge on the mat for a high-end professional effect.” - Samantha Sacks, Sam Sacks Design.
"Give an instant lift to your kitchen cabinetry with new hardware. Restoration Hardware’s Duluth pulls in polished nickel make a striking style statement.” - Colleen McGill, McGill Design Group.
WANT TO WIN A THERMADOR DISHWASHER?
Click here for your chance to win Thermador's fully flush stainless steel panel Star-Sapphire dishwasher!
FULL CONTEST RULES & REGULATIONS
1. The « Style at Home Thermador Bosch Contest » contest is held by (Groupe TVA) Style at Home . Groupe TVA Style at home is collectively hereinafter named: the “contest organizers”. The contest runs on Styleathome.com, from August 22, 2016 to November 24, 2016 at 23h59 ET (hereinafter: the “contest period”).
2. This contest is open to all persons residing in Canada of at least 18 years old of age. The following persons are excluded; employees, agents and representatives of Québecor Média inc., of Groupe TVA inc., of Style at Home, and Thermador of their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and promotional agencies, partners, suppliers of prizes, materials and services related to this contest, or any other party directly linked to the holding of this contest, or their brother, sister, children, mother, father, their legal or common-law spouse and individuals with whom such employees, agents and representatives are domiciled.
HOW TO ENTER
3. No purchase necessary. To participate in the contest, you simply have to enter the contest by visiting Styleathome.com. Go to the « Contest » section and click on the « Style at Home Thermador Bosch Contest » icon in order to register. After, you can fill in the electronic entry form.
i) Once you have accessed the electronic entry form make sure to indicate your exact personal information as follows: first name, last name, complete address with postal code and country. It is every participant’s responsibility to indicate a valid phone number where he can be reached between 9AM to 5PM during weekdays. Send your electronic entry form no later than November 24, 2016 at 23h59 ET. Upon reception of your registration’s confirmation message, you will be automatically entered in the contest. Cookies must be accepted in order to participate to the contest.
Entrants must respect the following limits, otherwise the contest organizers reserve the right to cancel one or several of their entries :
• One participation per person per day during the contest period;
• A person cannot register more than one e-mail address per person, in the case where a person has more than one;
• A person entering more than once a day or using multiple email addresses will be automatically removed from the ballot list;
5. The following prize is offered :
One (1) prize will be given: Thermador – Sapphire Dishwasher
The total prize value is : 3,079.00 $ CAN
The following conditions apply:
• The prize is not exchangeable and non-transferable; and
• The prize has to be accepted as it is; and
• The contest organizers will determine with the winner the date; and
• If the prize or a portion of it is not used, no compensation will be given.
6. On November 25, 2016 at 10:00 am, in Toronto, at the office of Groupe TVA inc., a random selection of entry form will be held among all eligible entry forms registered in conformity with section 3, in order to attribute the prize described above.
7. The odds of a participant’s entry form being randomly selected depend upon the number of eligible entry forms registered in conformity with the regulations and rules.
HOW TO CLAIM A PRIZE
8. In order to be declared a winner, each selected entrant must :
a) Have answered correctly the mathematical skill-testing question that appears on the release form; and
b) Be contacted by phone and/or email by the contest organizers within three (3) days following the random selection; and
c) Sign the declaration and exemption form that will be given to him and return to the contest organizers within 5 days; and
d) Abide to all conditions related to the Prize;
After the declaration and exemption form is correctly filled out and signed, the contest organizers will contact the winner to determine how the Prize will be remitted (by mail or on hand delivery)
9. Failing to comply with one of the conditions stated in the section above or any of the conditions provided in these Contest Rules, the entry of the selected entrant will be cancelled without any liability to the contest organizers whatsoever, and a new draw for that prize will be held according to these Contest Rules until an entrant is selected and declared a winner.
10. Verification. Entry forms are subject to verification by the contest organizers, and contest entrants agree to cooperate fully with contest organizers in such respect. Any entry form which is, as the case may be, incomplete, fraudulent, sent late, that does not bear the correct answer to the mathematical skill-testing question will automatically be rejected and will not give right to a prize, and contest organizers shall have no liability in such respect, or in respect of lost, misdirected of garbled communication, printing, prizing or distributor errors.
11. Non-conforming entries. The contest organizers reserve the right to disqualify any person or cancel one or many entries of any person participating in this contest or trying to participate by means contrary to these Contest Rules or in a manner which is unfair to the other entrants (e.g.: entries exceeding the permitted limit, computer hacking, etc.). Such person may be referred to the appropriate judicial authorities.
12. Acceptance of prize. Any prize must be accepted as described in the present Contest Rules and cannot be transferred to another person, substituted for another prize nor exchanged in part or in whole for a sum of money, subject to what is stated in the following section. Prize is accepted “as is” without any warranty whatsoever.
13. Substitution of prize. In the event where, for reasons not related to the winners, the contest organizers cannot award a prize (or part of a prize) as described in these Contest Rules, they reserve the right to award a prize (or part of a prize) of the same nature and of equivalent value or, at their sole discretion, the cash value of the prize (or part of the prize) as mentioned in these Contest Rules.
14. Refusal to accept a prize. The refusal of a randomly selected person to accept a prize according to the terms and conditions of these Contest Rules releases the contest organizers of any obligation related to that prize towards that person.
15. Liability – prize’s supplier. Each participant who is selected for a prize recognizes that upon reception of the confirmation of his status as the winner of the prize, the execution of the services in respect to the prize is the sole responsibility of the supplier of the prize, in this case, (Groupe TVA inc.) Style at Home. A declaration to this effect may be included in the declaration and exemption form.
16. Liability limit – use of prize. Any selected person releases Québecor Média inc., (Groupe TVA inc.), Style at Home, Thermador and their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and promotional agencies, their employees, agents and representatives from any and all liability for any and all damages he/she may suffer from the acceptance or use of his/her prize. In order to be declared a winner, any selected person agrees, if required, prior to obtaining his/her prize, to sign a Declaration Form to such effect.Erreur ! Signet non défini.
17. Liability limit – running of the contest. Québecor Média inc., Groupe TVA inc., and (Groupe TVA inc.), Style at Home, Thermador and their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and promotional agencies, their employees, agents and representatives are not liable for faulty computer components, software, or communication lines, relating to any transmission that is faulty, incomplete, incomprehensible or erased by any computer or network that could limit the possibility or prevent any person from participating in this contest. Québecor Média inc., (Groupe TVA inc.), Style at Home, Thermador and their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and promotional agencies, their employees, agents and representatives also will not be held liable for any damages or loss that could arise, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from downloading any Internet page, any software or any form and by the transmission of any data regarding the participation in this contest.
18. Modification. The contest organizers reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this contest, in whole or in part, in the case of the occurrence of an event, an error or any human intervention that could corrupt or affect the administration, safety, impartiality or the running of the contest as foreseen in these Contest Rules, subject to the approval of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux du Québec, if required. In any case, the contest organizers, their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and promotional agencies, the suppliers of products or services related to this contest as well as their employees, agents and representatives cannot be held liable to award more prizes than those indicated in these Contest Rules or to award prizes otherwise than in compliance with these Contest Rules.
19. Impossibility to act – including labour dispute Québecor Média inc., (Groupe TVA inc.), Style at Home, Thermador and their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and promotional agencies, their employees, agents and representatives will not assume any liability whatsoever in any case where their incapacity to act would result from a fact or a situation beyond their control or a strike, lock-out or any other labour dispute in their establishment or in establishments of organizations or enterprises which services are used for holding this contest.
20. Liability limit– participation. Any person who participates or tries to participate in this contest releases the contest organizers, their parent and affiliated companies, their advertising and/or promotional agencies, their employees, agents and representatives, from any and all liability for damages which he/she could suffer from participating or trying to participate in this contest.
21. Authorization. By entering this contest, any winner authorizes the contest organizers, their partners and their representatives to use, if required, his/her name, photograph, likeness, declaration related to the prize, place of residence and/or voice without remuneration whatsoever and that, at their discretion and without limit as for the period of use, in any media and on a worldwide scale, for publicity purposes or for any purpose that will or may be pertinent.
22. Communication with entrants. No communication or correspondence will be exchanged with entrants in the context of this contest except with those selected for a prize.
23. Decisions of the contest organizers. All decisions of the contest organizers or those of their representatives regarding this contest are final and binding, subject to any decision by the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux du Québec in relation to matters under its jurisdiction.
24. Litigation. Any litigation respecting the conduct or organisation of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
25. Identification of the entrant. For the purposes of these Contest Rules, the entrant is the person whose name appears on the entry form and it is to this person to whom the prize will be awarded if he/she is selected and declared a winner.
26. Precedence: If an article in this regulation were to be declared or deemed illegal, unenforceable or invalid by a competent authority, then this article would be considered null and non-written, but all other items would not be affected and would find application in limits and authorized by law
27. Rules contest. This is the official regulations and rules for the contest « Style at Home Thermador Bosch Contest ».
28. Personal information. The personal information collected on the participants of this contest are used only for the administration of the contest. No commercial communication or other, not linked to the contest, will be sent to the participants by the contest organizers except if the participants have authorized the contest organizers, and in the case of Style at Home, Thermador it’s affiliates, to send such communication by checking the opt-in on the electronic entry form.
The post-presidential home for Barack Obama and his family.
Take a look inside the multi-million dollar home President Obama and his family will lease once it's time to leave the White House.
This January President Obama and his family will say goodbye to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and lease a 8,200-square-foot mansion in Washington, D.C.'s Kalorama neighbourhood. Owned by Joe Lockhart, a former White House press secretary, the multi-million dollar mansion will cost an estimated $22,000 per month to rent.
Built in the 1920s the Obama family will call this nine bedroom mansion their home for the next two years while their youngest daughter Sasha finishes high school. Located in one of Washington's most desired neighbourhoods the home also features two kitchens, nine bathrooms, a home office and large multimedia room. The home also features a spacious au pair suite which is said to be the perfect place for Michelle's mother (who currently lives with them at the White House).
Take the tour of this beautiful red-brick Tudor home below and check out the full listing here.
Built in the 1920s, this gorgeous Tudor-style home is located in one of Washington's most desired neighbourhoods.
It might not be the North Portico at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue but that doesn't mean this front door is lacking in character. We love the large wrought iron door, wall sconces and the beautiful patina copper awning.
We're certain this grand foyer will be filled with framed family photos and lots of fresh flowers soon enough.
Once inside you can follow the beautiful black and white marble tile floor right into a spacious living room.
With lots of natural light and a walk-out to the backyard this living room is the perfect space for entertaining and relaxing. We can already invision Bo and Sunny (the family's Portuguese Water Dogs) laying comfortably by the large fireplace.
It's no oval office but we're sure President Obama will make good use of this cozy sitting room.
What's not to love about this spacious kitchen. From the Shaker-style cabinetry to the glossy subway tile backsplash and gorgeous hardwood flooring it's a great space for the family to enjoy making meals together (which is one of Michelle's favourite things to do).
We love the look of classic subway tile and marble countertops against the contrasting black window frames in this kitchen. And let's not forget about that glorious 6-burner gas range.
With lots of storage space, a small mini fridge and dishwasher a well organized pantry is sure to help keep this home's kitchen neat and tidy.
We can't help but wonder how the Obama family might redecorate their temporary home. Another large living space means plenty of opportunity to add family photos, keepsakes and artwork.
They might not be hosting state dinners but this dynamic dining room is definitely large enough for entertaining guests.
The home's master bedroom includes a fireplace and sitting area as well as his and hers ensuite bathrooms.
As a style and fashion icon we're certain Michelle will be able to fill every nook of this dressing room.
If there's one thing President Obama and the First Lady don't have to worry about it's sharing a bathroom. The master bedroom has both his and hers bathrooms with Michelle's featuring a luxurious deep-soaker tub and vanity.
It might not be as luxurious, but this bathroom features a spacious walk-in shower.
This guestroom is just one of eight others in the home. Which means there's plenty of options for both Malia and Sasha when choosing a post-White-House bedroom.
Michelle is quite the greenthumb (she's kept a garden at the White House since 2009) which means this large greenspace is bound to be full of fresh flowers, vegetables and herbs in no time.
The home also features a two car garage and parking pad to accomodate up to six other vehicles. Making it the perfect spot the family's Secret Service agents.