Recipe: Almond butter cookies
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat pastry flour, or regular whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon (3 mL) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) smooth, unsalted almond butter
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 36 raw whole almonds (a heaping 1/4 cup, 50 mL)
1 Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC) degrees. Spray two baking sheets with cooking spray.
2 In a large bowl whisk together the flours, salt, and baking soda. In another large bowl beat together the butter, almond butter and sugars until fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg and beat until well combined. Gradually stir in the flour mixture, blending well.
3 Shape the dough into 3/4 inch balls, and place on the baking sheets. Place an almond in the centre of each cookie and press down lightly. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 36 cookies