Image: Joe Kim
Add a little something extra to your weekend brunch menu with these delicious caramel sticky buns.
There’s no shame in needing a little motivation to get moving on relaxed weekend mornings. A delicious breakfast will usually do the trick, but why not up the ante and send the divine aroma of cinnamon and sugar wafting through the house? With tender, chewy pastry and a generous drizzling of caramel, these sticky buns will have you confusing your average weekend brunch for an extra special occasion.
For the buns
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 4 tbsp + 1 tsp granulated sugar, divided
- 1 pkg quick-rise active dry yeast
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
For the caramel
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the filling
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. To make the dough, combine the warm water and 1 teaspoon of the sugar in a small bowl; stir. Sprinkle the yeast over the water mixture and stir gently. Set the bowl aside for 5 to 10 minutes, or until a foam forms on top of the mixture.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until smooth. Add the yeast mixture and whisk gently to combine.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, add the remaining sugar, flour and salt. Set the mixer on low and blend the dry ingredients. Increase the speed to medium and slowly add the wet ingredients. Continue mixing until the dough comes together.
4. With the mixer still running, add the butter, 1 piece at a time, until fully incorporated. Knead the dough on medium for 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer the dough to another bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel; allow to sit for 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, make the caramel. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and vanilla extract. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes bubbly. Pour into the bottom of an 8" x 8" baking pan.
6. To make the filling, combine the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on low speed for 2 to 3 minutes; set aside.
7. To assemble your buns, lightly flour a working surface and roll the dough out into a 12" x 18" rectangle. Spread the filling evenly over the dough, covering the entire surface. Starting on the long side, tightly roll the dough into a log and cut into 9 equal pieces. Place the pieces in the pan over the caramel.
8. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, then cover the pan with a large plate or tray and carefully invert. Sprinkle the buns with the chopped pecans; serve warm.
Makes 9 sticky buns.