Recipe: Cherry tomato red clam sauce with linguine
- 1 pound linguine
- 3 tablespoons EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
- 5 to 6 anchovies
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pint small cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 sprigs of oregano, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- A handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 pounds Manila clams, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1 Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt the water, and cook the pasta to just shy of al dente.
2 While the water comes to a boil, heat the EVOO in a large pot over medium to medium-high heat. Add the anchovies and melt them into the oil.
3 Add the onions, garlic, and tomatoes to the pot and season with the red pepper flakes, oregano, parsley, and black pepper to taste.
4 Sauté until the tomatoes burst and the onions are soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
5 Add the wine and reduce for 1 to 2 minutes, then melt the butter into the sauce and add the clams. Cover the pot and cook the clams until they open, 6 to 7 minutes.
6 Discard any unopened clams and add the pasta to the pot. Toss the linguine with the sauce for 2 to 3 minutes so the pasta absorbs the flavors. Add the basil, taste to adjust the seasonings, and serve.
Excerpted from Rachael Ray's Look + Cook by Rachael Ray Copyright © 2010 by Rachael Ray. Photography Copyright © 2010 by Ben Fink. Excerpted by permission of Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House of Canada Limited. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.