Recipe: Chicken pizza
After discovering delicious chicken pizza on a family beach trip, we decided to create it at home. We love this recipe because it's so different from traditional pizza - not a tomato in sight. Now we can all enjoy it more than once a year!
- 2 13.8-ounce cans premade pizza crust dough
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 1 bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into strips
- 1 red onion, sliced vertically
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, grilled and diced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2 Roll the pizza dough out and fit onto two 15-inch pizza pans.
3 Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of garlic on each pizza crust, followed by 1/2 cup each of the mozzarella cheese and 1/2 of the Cheddar cheese.
4 Scatter half of the bell pepper, sliced onion, chicken, and bacon on top of the cheeses. Sprinkle another 1/2 mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese over each pizza and drizzle each pizza with 1 tablespoon more of olive oil.
5 Bake the pizzas for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the crusts are lightly browned.
6 Slice each pizza into 8 pieces.
Pizza doesn't have to be round! I make this pizza dough into a rectangle and cut it into squares to serve.
Serves 12 to 14
Excerpted from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood by Trisha Yearwood Copyright © 2010 by Trisha Yearwood. Excerpted by permission of Clarkson Potter. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.