Image excerpted from The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out by Angela Liddon
A delicious 'burrito in a bowl' casserole with a mix of rice, beans and vegetables that's light and tasty!
For the Tex-Mex spice blend
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons (7 mL) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) smoked sweet paprika, or 1⁄2 teaspoon (2 mL) regular paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon (1 mL) cayenne pepper, plus more as needed
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons (6 mL) fine-grain sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon (1 mL) ground coriander (optional)
For the casserole
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons (7 mL) extra-virgin olive oil 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, if desired, and diced
- Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) fresh or frozen corn
- 1 (14-ounce/398-mL) can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato sauce or tomato puree
- 2 to 3 cups (500 to 750 mL) chopped kale leaves or baby spinach
- 1 (15-ounce/425-g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 1⁄2 cups (875 mL) cooked wild rice blend or brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) vegan shredded cheese, such as Daiya
- 1 to 2 handfuls corn tortilla chips, crushed
1 Make the Tex-Mex spice blend: In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt, and coriander (if using). Set aside.
2 Make the casserole: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Oil a large (4-to 5-quart/4- to 5-L) casserole dish.
3 In a large wok, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bell peppers, and jalapeño and sauté for 7 to 8 minutes, until softened. Season with salt and black pepper.
4 Stir in the Tex-Mex spice blend, corn, diced tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce, spinach or kale, beans, rice, and 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) of the vegan shredded cheese. Sauté for a few minutes and season with more salt and black pepper, if desired.
5 Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish and smooth out the top. Sprinkle the crushed chips over the casserole mixture along with the remaining 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) cheese. Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 15 minutes.
6 Uncover the casserole dish and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more, until bubbly and lightly golden around the edges.
7 Scoop the casserole into bowls and add your desired toppings.
Tip: I suggest cooking the rice ahead of time to make this recipe come to- gether much faster. You can even use precooked frozen rice (just thaw it before using).
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out by Angela Liddon. Recipes Copyright © 2014 Angela Liddon, Photography copyright © 2014 David Biesse, Eric Liddon and Angela Liddon. Excerpted by permission of Penguin Canada Books Inc., Toronto. All rights reserved.