Your guests will love these healthy and delicious brownies.
Delicious and nutritious beets are the secret ingredient in these dark chocolate brownies.
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, plus more for preparing the pan
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup golden brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups dark bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup peeled and finely grated raw red beets (about 2 medium)
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 8" square baking pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
2 Stir together the flour and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
3 Using an electric mixer, beat the melted butter with the brown sugar in a large bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating constantly; add the chocolate chips and vanilla extract and beat just until blended.
4 Add the flour and cinnamon mixture and beat until the batter is smooth and glossy, about 1 minute. Add the beets and stir through until the mixture is thoroughly blended.
5 Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake on the middle rack of the oven until a knife inserted in the centre of the pan comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
6 Cool completely before turning out the brownies and cutting them into
squares to serve.
Prep & cook time: 1 hour
Makes: 16 squares