Images: Jeff Coulson
Is it a salad kind of day today? If so, try this delicious fresh green salad with melted goat cheese crostini.
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 oz whole pecans
- 1 baguette, sliced diagonally into eight ½" slices
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz firm goat cheese (not the log style), with a nice aged casing, cut into eight slices
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp each: Dijon mustard and honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp each: salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2 Combine the salad greens and baby spinach in a large bowl. Add the dill, dried cranberries, red bell peppers and pecans, tossing to combine.
3 Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet and brush with the olive oil. Bake for 5 minutes on each side until the bread is toasted and crispy.
4 Remove the baguette slices from the oven and top each with a slice of goat cheese.
5 Return to the oven and broil for 5 minutes or until the goat cheese begins to melt.
6 Meanwhile, whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad, tossing well to coat.
7 Arrange the salad on plates and top each serving with a warm goat cheese crostini. Serve immediately.
Prep time: 20 minutes.