Recipe: Grilled chicken tzatziki
- 4 pitas
- Extra yogurt for garnish
For chicken marinade:
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice + 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Pinch salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For cucumber relish:
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup seeded, finely diced tomato
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 6 tbsp coarsely chopped and pitted black olives
- 4 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 To prepare chicken marinade, whisk all ingredients except chicken breasts together in a bowl. Combine marinade with chicken breasts in a large zip-lock bag, seal and gently shake to evenly distribute marinade over chicken. Place in refrigerator and chill for 2 to 4 hours.
2 Meanwhile, prepare the cucumber relish. Lay cucumber slices in a sieve placed over a bowl and sprinkle with pinch of salt. Leave for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until cucumbers soften and their liquid begins to drain into the bowl. Stir occasionally.
3 Combine the tomato, onion, olives, parsley, dill, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Stir in drained cucumbers, then cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
4 Grease grill and preheat to medium-high. Remove chicken from zip-lock bag and discard marinade. Grill chicken breasts until cooked through, about 15 to 18 minutes. Remove chicken from grill, let rest for a few minutes and slice thinly on the diagonal. Lay chicken slices on top of each pita round and divide relish evenly among them. Garnish with a little extra yogurt and serve.
Find more crave-worthy chicken recipes.