Recipe: Ice-cube-tray sushi
- 7 ounces sashimi-grade salmon, cut into1/4-inch cubes
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cucumber, finely chopped (3 tablespoons)
- about 5 grape tomatoes, finely chopped (3 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice (preferably from a Japanese or Chinese restaurant)
1 Combine all the ingredients except the rice in a bowl.
2 To make the sushi-rice blocks, use an ice-cube tray as a mold. (Small cups, mini-muffin tins, and tartlet pans will also work.) Prepare the mold by sprinkling it lightly with water.
3 Press the rice into the tray squares, then use your finger to push a hole three-quarters of the way into each square.
4 Turn the mold upside down onto waxed paper and tap until the squares fall out.
5 Fill each hole with 2 teaspoons of the salmon mixture and serve.
BUY THIS BOOK
From Time For Dinner. Published by Chronicle Books. Copyright 2010 by Chronicle Books. All rights reserved. Reprinted by permission of Chronicle Books.