Orzo salad recipe with avocado and bacon
Serve this tasty orzo salad with chili lime dressing at your next backyard barbecue.
Chili lime dressing
- 2 tbsp 5% sour cream
- 2 tbsp best-quality mayonnaise
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp smoked chipotle chili pepper
- Pinch each: sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cobs freshly shucked corn
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/4"-thick rounds
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, peeled and chopped
- 1 roasted yellow pepper, peeled and chopped
- 4 strips thick-cut double-smoked bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapenos
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the chili lime dressing. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
2 Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Cook the orzo according to the package directions. Drain in a colander and shake to steam dry.
3 Place the orzo in a large bowl and drizzle with the olive oil, stirring to combine. Leave to cool, stirring occasionally to prevent the pasta from sticking.
4 Meanwhile, heat the barbecue to medium. Place the corn cobs directly on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until the kernels are slightly blistered, tender-crisp and bright yellow, about 6 to 8 minutes. At the same time, grill the zucchini for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until slightly charred and softened.
5 When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cobs with a large knife and add to the orzo. Cut the zucchini slices in half and add to the pasta, along with the celery, roasted peppers, bacon and jalapenos.
6 Add the chili lime dressing and toss to mix well. Add the avocado and fresh herbs and stir gently to combine. Serve immediately.
Prep and cook time: 1 hour
Serves: 4 to 6