These potato nests are among the cutest finger foods I enjoy preparing. Don’t be fooled by their appearance— they might look complicated, but in reality they are a very
quick and easy recipe
to make. And the result is a delectable adventure with every bite.
- 1 large (225 g; 8 oz) baking potato or sweet potato, peeled and finely grated
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Sea salt
- Crushed red or black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 organic green apple, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup (100 g; 3 ½ oz) cooked fresh crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped chives, plus a few sprigs to serve
- Crème fraîche, to serve
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, to serve
- Fleur de sel, to serve
1 Preheat the oven to 420F (215C). Oil a mini muffin pan or two with cooking spray; set aside.
2 In a bowl, beat the grated potato with the egg and nutmeg. Add the parsley and season with sea salt and crushed red peppercorns. Take a small amount of the grated potatoes in your hands and squeeze out the excess liquid. Press this into the bottom of each muffin hole in the shape of a nest; repeat with the remaining grated potatoes. Add 1/2 teaspoon of melted butter to each nest.
3 Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are crisp and golden in color. Unmold the nests and let cool on a rack.
4 In a bowl, gently toss the apple with the lime juice, crab, oil, cilantro, scallion, and chives. Season with sea salt and pepper. Using a teaspoon, spoon a small amount of filling inside each potato nest. Add a dollop of crème fraîche and a few pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle with fleur de sel and decorate with a few chive sprigs.
Makes 18 to 20 nests.
UY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from La Tartine Gourmande by Beatrice Peltre. Copyright © 2012 by Beatrice Peltre. Excerpted by permission of Roost Books. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.