Recipe: Pumpkin and string bean salad
- 2 cups peeled -inch diced pumpkin
- Sea salt
- 1/2 lb fresh slender green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tbsp blackstrap molasses or honey
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 small shallot, sliced
- 1/2 cup shelled unsalted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Shredded coconut, for garnish (optional)
1 Place the pumpkin in a large saucepan. Add a pinch of salt and add enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the green beans. Cover and let steep for 1 minute more.
2 Transfer to a colander and drain in a sink. Immediately run under cold water for 30 seconds. Let stand to drain.
3 Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, molasses, cayenne, and shallot. Add the drained pumpkin and beans and the pumpkin seeds to bowl and lightly toss. Season with salt and pepper.
4 Divide the salad between 2 salad bowls or plates and sprinkle with the coconut (if using). Serve immediately.
Note: This salad can be made ahead and refrigerated.
Makes two servings.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from Nirmala’s Edible Diary by Nirmala Narine. Photographs by Diana Delucia. Copyright © 2009 by Nirmala Narine. Excerpted by permission of Chronicle Books. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.