Recipe: Quinoa salad with asparagus, feta and pine nuts
For the salad
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 large bunch baby asparagus, stalks cut off and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped sundried tomatoes packed in oil (about 8 sundried tomatoes), plus 2 tbsp oil (reserved to use in dressing)
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese + more for garnish
- 3 tbsp toasted pine nuts for garnish
For the dressing
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp reserved oil from sundried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Place the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly with cool water for at least 2 minutes; drain.
2 Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the drained quinoa and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to toast the grains and evaporate any remaining water.
3 Stir in the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
4 Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and set aside.
5 Steam the asparagus for 2 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Transfer the asparagus to a colander and rinse under ice-cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
6 When cool, combine the quinoa, asparagus, sundried tomatoes, olives, onion and feta cheese in a large bowl.
7 Whisk together the garlic, oil from the sundried tomatoes, lemon juice, oregano and basil in a small bowl. Add sea salt and pepper.
8 Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Top with the additional crumbled feta cheese and toasted pine nuts and serve immediately.
Prep and cook time: 45 minutes.