Recipe: Roasted red pepper bean dip with harissa pita crisps
- 1 19-oz can chickpeas, cannellini or navy beans
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped roasted red peppers
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp harissa dry spice blend, divided
- 4 7" thin pita pockets
- Mini Canadian bocconcini balls, toasted pine nuts or hot pickled peppers for topping
1 Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2 Rinse the chickpeas under cold water and drain well. Place the chickpeas in the bowl of a food processor along with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the garlic, roasted red peppers, tahini, lemon juice, salt, cumin and 1 teaspoon of the harissa.
3 Process for 3 to 4 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
4 Brush each thin pita pocket with a little bit of the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining harissa.
5 Cut each pita into 8 or 12 wedges. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the pitas are crisp and toasted. Scoop the roasted pepper bean dip into small bowls and garnish with your favourite toppings. Serve with the harissa pita crisps.
Prep and cook time: 45 minutes