Images: Joe Kim
Impress your guests with these flavour-packed steak skewers, sure to be a hit at any backyard party.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbsp rice or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1-1/2 lb flank steak, trimmed of excess fat
- Toasted sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Red chili pepper, sliced into thin rounds for garnish
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
1 In a medium bowl whisk together the garlic through black pepper to make the marinade. Reserve 1⁄2 cup of the marinade to use as the dipping sauce and add the rest to a large resealable plastic bag and shake to combine.
2 Score the steak lightly on both sides with a sharp knife and slice into 1⁄2"-thick strips. Add the steak to the bag with the marinade and refrigerate for 8 hours, turning occasionally.
3 Remove the meat from the refrigerator and preheat the grill to medium-high. Thread the sirloin strips onto metal or pre-soaked wooden skewers. Pour the marinade from the bag into a bowl to use for basting.
4 Lightly oil the grill and cook the kebabs for 3 minutes per side, basting with the leftover marinade during cooking time.
5 Top the reserved dipping sauce with the sesame seeds, chili pepper and cilantro and serve the kebabs with brown rice and salad.
Prep and cook time: 8-1/2 hours.
Makes: 8 kebabs.