Recipe: Spicy Asian noodle bowl
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sliced almonds
- 3/4 pound (340 g) whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 head broccoli (about 3/4 pound, 340 g), tops cut into florets, stems peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 cups (500 mL, about 4 ounces) of snow peas, trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup (250 mL) of unsalted almond butter
- 1/4 cup (120 mL) of reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon (45 mL) fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) chili-garlic sauce, such as Sriracha
- 1 scallion, green part only (about 3 tablespoons, 45 mL)
1 Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Toast the almonds in a dry skillet over a medium-heat, stirring frequently, until they are golden, about 3 minutes.
2 Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Three minutes before the pasta is ready, add the broccoli to the pasta pot. One minute before it is ready add the snow peas and red peppers to the pot.
3 While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. Place the almond butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, chili-garlic sauce and three tablespoon of boiling water (from the pasta pot) into a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
4 Drain the noodles and vegetables, return them to the pasta pot, add the sauce and toss to coat. Serve garnished with the toasted almonds and scallion greens.