We've found the perfect salad to enjoy during strawberry season.
Enjoy this fresh and flavourful salad from The Love & Lemons Cookbook by Jeanine Donofrio.
- 3/4 cup wheat berries, rinsed and picked over
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups loosely packed mache greens or baby salad greens
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sliced basil
- 1/4 cup whole mint leaves
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the rinsed wheat berries and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the wheat berries are tender, adding more water if necessary to keep them from drying out; drain.
2 Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar and honey. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
3 In a large bowl, combine the cooked wheat berries, mache greens, hazelnuts, strawberries, basil, mint and feta. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired.
Cook time: 45 minutes
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from The Love & Lemons Cookbook by Jeanine Donofrio. Recipes Copyright © 2015 Jeanine Donofrio, Photography copyright © 2015 Jack Mathews. Excerpted by permission of Penguin Random House. All rights reserved.