Recipe: Tomato and bread salad
Got some leftover bread? Put it to good use with this delicious tomato and bread salad.
- 2 cups day-old rustic bread, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch sugar
- 1 tsp Maldon sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 small English cucumber
- 1 pint coloured cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado
- 1 long red chili, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1 tbsp oregano or marjoram leaves
1 Toast the bread cubes on a baking sheet in a 375ºF oven until golden. Meanwhile, mix the garlic, vinegar, mustard, sugar and sea salt together in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to emulsify. Set aside.
2 Cut the heirloom tomatoes and cucumber into chunky 1" pieces and slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Place in a large bowl; add the red onion. Peel and pit the avocado and slice into 1" pieces. Add to the bowl along with the chili, toasted croutons, and herbs.
3 Pour the dressing over the salad and toss carefully. Let salad sit for 30 minutes before serving to allow the juices of the tomatoes to combine with the dressing.