Image: Maya Visnyei/Recipe and Styling: Claire Stubbs/Styling: Ann Marie Favot
A citrus-fresh chopped salad perfect for a quick summer meal.
For chili lime dressing
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 small chili, minced
For the salad
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red pepper
- 1 carrot
- 3 cups julienned napa cabbage
- 1 cup julienned red cabbage
- 2 heads baby bok choy, julienned
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced snow peas
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup each: fresh basil, cilantro and mint leaves
- 1⁄3 cup roasted peanuts
- 1⁄4 cup fried shallots (optional)
1 In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the chili lime dressing.
2 Slice the chicken breasts into long strips about 1⁄4" thick. Toss with 2 tablespoons of the chili lime dressing and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3 Meanwhile, using a very sharp knife, julienne the red pepper, discarding the seeds and inner membrane. Use a vegetable peeler to cut the carrot into long ribbons. Toss the red pepper through the baby bok choy together in a large bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
4 Thread the marinated chicken onto soaked bamboo skewers and grill on the barbecue on medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes, until the chicken is golden on the outside and no longer pink inside.
5 Add the green onions, snow peas, mango, basil, cilantro and mint to the cabbage mixture. Toss together and arrange on a large platter along with the chicken skewers. Drizzle with the remaining dressing. Top with the roasted peanuts and fried shallots, if using, and serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 6.