Recipe: Warm butternut squash salad with Parma ham
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1-½ tbsp honey, divided
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped red onion (slice the rest of the onion into rounds and set aside)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 slices Parma ham, cut into ¼-inch chunks
- 4 small heads Boston or butter lettuce
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2 In a large bowl, whisk together the 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon honey. Add the cubed squash to the bowl and toss to coat.
3 Place the squash on a large shallow baking pan and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and roast for 20 minutes or until the squash is tender and cooked through.
4 Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil, ½ tablespoon honey, apple cider vinegar, chopped red onion and Dijon mustard to form the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5 Place the dressing in a medium saucepan and heat gently over medium-low until the mixture is warmed through. Add the Parma ham to the pan and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes, until the ham is warmed through.
6 Remove any damaged leaves from the Boston lettuce, then wash and cut the bottoms off the heads.
7 Place a few lettuce leaves on each plate to form a cup shape. Top the lettuce with the squash, reserved onion slices and Parmesan.
8 Ladle the dressing over the salad and serve.
Prep and cook time: 45 minutes.