Recipe: Wheatberry salad with oranges, cucumber and cranberries
For the salad
- 2 cups uncooked wheatberries
- 4 oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 Rinse the wheatberries with water and drain.
2 Place in a bowl, cover with cold water and let stand for 8 hours or up to overnight. Rinse the wheatberries well and drain thoroughly.
3 Place the wheatberries in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour or until al dente.
4 Rinse, drain and set aside to cool. Combine the cooled wheatberries, orange segments, cucumber, celery, cranberries, onion, orange zest, walnuts and mint. Toss to combine.
5 In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, apple cider vinegar, walnut oil and Dijon.
6 Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Top with the parsley and serve immediately.
Prep and cook time: 9 hours.