Colourful and tasty root vegetables—carrots, turnips, parsnips, and potatoes—slow-roasted in butter and olive oil, make a beautiful and hearty accompaniment to almost any winter dish.
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 carrots, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 parsnips, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow turnip or rutabaga (2 pounds), peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium red potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2 Put a heavy roasting pan over 2 burners on the stove. Heat the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, parsnips, turnips, and potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned in places, about 5 minutes. Generously season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste. Add the rosemary and thyme and stir well to combine.
3 Roast the vegetables in the oven until soft when pierced and golden brown, about 1 hour. Transfer to a large platter and serve.
Excerpted from The Ski Country Cookbook