- 1 540-ml can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp kosher salt, plus more for vinaigrette
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 cup boiling water
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 bunch arugula, large leaves torn into bite-sized pieces, about 1 cup
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
1 Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine chickpeas, 1 tablespoon olive oil, brown sugar, cumin, kosher salt, cinnamon and red pepper flakes in a bowl and toss well. Transfer mixture to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and roast in oven, shaking pan occasionally, about 20 minutes, until chickpeas are golden brown and crispy.
2 Meanwhile, place couscous in a medium heatproof bowl; pour boiling water over couscous and stir to combine. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; set aside.
3 In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine lemon zest and juice, honey and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cover with lid and shake until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in mint and set aside.
4 To serve, toss arugula and couscous together with half the vinaigrette and divide evenly among four bowls. Spoon roasted chickpeas over top and garnish with pine nuts. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.