- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2-1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons (1⁄2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for cooking
- 1⁄2 cup fine bulgur
- Cinnamon-Allspice Butter (recipe follows)
- Blueberry Syrup (recipe follows)
1 Whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
2 Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, butter, and oil in a separate large bowl. Add the flour mixture and bulgur to the buttermilk mixture and whisk until just combined. Let the batter rest for 15 minutes.
3 Preheat the oven to 200°F.
4 Heat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions and brush or spray with a little canola oil. Add the batter and cook until the waffles are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Place on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining waffles.
5 Top each waffle with some of the spiced butter and drizzle with the blueberry syrup.
Serves 4 to 6.