- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 4 ounces gluten-free bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, or 3/4 cup gluten-free bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sweet white rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup black bean flour
- 1/4 cup gluten-free unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup gluten-free milk chocolate chunks
1 Preheat the oven to 325°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray.
2 In a medium saucepan set over low heat, combine the butter and bittersweet chocolate. Warm, stirring often, until melted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and salt. Add the applesauce, eggs, and vanilla, and stir until well blended. Sprinkle the white rice fl our, potato starch, black bean flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and xanthan gum over the mixture and stir until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
3 Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread it out evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out almost completely clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
4 Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the brownies cool completely. Then cut into 2-inch squares and serve.
Makes 12 brownies.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from Deliciously G-Free by Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Copyright © 2012 by Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Excerpted by permission of Ballantine Books, a division of Random House of Canada Limited. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.