Recipe: Fresh crab and avocado dip with crispy tortillas
4 firm but ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
1/4 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
15 ounces fresh crabmeat
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
1 red jalapeño chili, finely chopped
Canola oil, for deep frying
12 fresh corn tortillas, cut into wedges
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
• Mash the avocados, sour cream, 3 tablespoons of lime juice, and the chives in a large bowl.
• Season the avocado mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
• Spoon the avocado mixture evenly into the bottom of a clear glass serving bowl, forming an even layer and smoothing the top.
• Squeeze the crabmeat gently to exude any excess liquid.
• Mix the crabmeat, mayonnaise, sliced basil, chili pepper and the remaining 1 tablespoon of lime juice in another bowl.
• Season the crab mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
• Spoon the crab mixture over the avocado mixture, forming a second even layer and smoothing the top.
• Cover and refrigerate the dip until ready to serve or up to 8 hours.
• Heat 3 inches of oil in a wok over medium-high heat.
• Working in batches, fry the tortilla wedges for about 3 minutes or until they are crisp and golden brown, stirring often so that they cook evenly on both sides.
• Using a slotted spoon or mesh strainer, transfer the corn chips to paper towels to drain any excess oil.
• While the chips are still hot, sprinkle them lightly with salt.
• Garnish the dip with basil leaves and serve with the tortilla chips.