- 4 oz (115 g) rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 12 large rice paper wrappers
- 36 cooked large shrimp (size 31 to 35)
- 3 cups thinly sliced leaf lettuce
- Half each sweet red pepper and sweet yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 piece (4 inches/10 cm) English cucumber, cut in thin strips
- Half mango, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Spicy almond dipping sauce:
- ¼ cup crunchy natural almond butter
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce or other hot pepper sauce
1 Spicy Almond Dipping Sauce: Stir together almond butter, hoisin sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha sauce and 3 tbsp water. Set aside.
2 Break vermicelli into thirds; place in bowl. Pour boiling water over top; soak until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain; toss with sesame oil. Let cool. Fill shallow bowl with warm water. Soak rice paper wrappers in water,
3 One at a time, until softened and pliable, about 30 seconds. Spread wrappers on clean towel.
4 Along bottom third of wrapper, place 3 shrimp pieces. Top with scant . ¼ cup noodles, ¼ cup lettuce and few pieces each of the red pepper, yellow pepper, cucumber and mango. Top with 2 or 3 pieces each of the mint and cilantro leaves.
5 From filled side, roll wrapper over filling. Fold sides in and tightly roll up. Place, seam side down, on tray; cover with damp towel. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 12 rolls.
6 To serve, cut diagonally in half. Serve with dipping sauce.
Makes 24 pieces.
Nutritional information per piece: about 76 cal, 3 g pro, 2 g total fat (trace sat. fat), 11 g carb, 1 g fibre, 16 mg chol, 176 mg sodium, 93 mg potassium. % RDI: 2% calcium, 7% iron, 7% vit A, 20% vit C, 5% folate.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from Canadian Living: The International Collection by The Canadian Living Test Kitchen. Copyright © 2011 by Transcontinental Books. Copyright © 2011 by The Canadian Living Test Kitchen. Excerpted by permission of Transcontinental. All rights reserved.