A middle cream cheese layer makes these a change – for the better – from the usual lemon squares.
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 pkg (8 oz/250 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 30 lemon social tea cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
1 Line 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan with parchment paper or grease; set aside.
2 BASE: In food processor, whirl cookies to make 2 cups (500 mL) crumbs; pulse in butter until moistened. Press into prepared pan. Bake in centre of 325°F (160°C) oven until firm, about 12 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack.
3 CHEESECAKE LAYER: In bowl, beat cream cheese with sugar until smooth; beat in egg. Spread over base; set aside.
4 In bowl, beat eggs with sugar until thickened. Beat in lemon rind and juice, flour and baking powder until smooth; pour over cheesecake layer. Bake in centre of 325°F (160°C) oven until edges are set and lightly browned, about 35 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack. (Make-ahead: Remove from pan; wrap and refrigerate for up to 5 days or overwrap in heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 1 month.) Cut into bars; dust with icing sugar.
Cut Neat Bars and Squares
- Let bars cool completely before cutting.
- Lift uncut bars out of pan using parchment paper liner as handles.
- Place on cutting board.
- With long knife, trim off edges to neaten up.
- A ruler is helpful so all pieces are the same size.
- For 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan, cut crosswise into quarters. Cut each quarter in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into fifths to make 10 squares.
- Keep a wet, wrung-out cloth handy to wipe knife clean between cuts.
Makes 60 bars.
PER BAR: about 71 cal, 1 g pro, 4 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 9 g carb, 0 g fibre, 24 mg chol, 33 mg sodium. % RDI: 1% calcium, 1% iron, 4% vit A, 2% vit C, 2% folate.
Visit canadianliving.com for more great recipes.
Excerpted from The Complete Canadian Living Baking Book by Elizabeth Baird & The Canadian Living Test Kitchen. Copyright © 2008. Excerpted by permission of Transcontinental Books. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
For book information and to purchase, click here: randomhouse.ca