- 1 lb/455 g high-quality sweet or spicy Italian sausages
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb/455 g linguine pasta, fresh or dried
- 4 large organic egg yolks
- 1/2 cup/120 ml whole milk or half-and-half/half cream
- 3/4 cup/85 g freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 Cut or slice the skins of the sausage, and peel back the skins. Cut the sausage into little blunt-edged meatballs.
2 Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and fry the
sausages until golden brown all over, about 5 minutes.
3 Meanwhile, cook the linguine in boiling salted water until it is just al dente, 3 to 5 minutes for fresh and 10 to 12 minutes for dried.
4 Whisk together the egg yolks, milk, half the grated cheese, and the lemon zest. Drain the pasta and reserve about 1/2 cup/120 ml cooking liquid. Add the pasta back to the pot along with the egg mixture. Add the hot sausage, toss it all together, and let the heat from the pot and the linguine cook and thicken the egg to a silky sauce. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup/60 to 120 ml reserved pasta water to loosen. Toss with the remaining cheese and chives or parsley and serve fresh from the stove in shallow bowls or plates
Serves 2 to 4.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpt from The Newlywed Cookbook by Sarah Copeland. Copyright © 2011 by Sarah Copeland. Photography Copyright © 2011 by Sara Remington. Excerpted by permission of Chronicle Books. All rights reserved.