- 2 acorn squash, halved crosswise, seeds removed
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 fresh sage leaves, torn in half
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese (about 2 ounces)
1 Preheat oven to 375F. Place squash halves, cut sides up, in a 9-inch baking dish. Season with salt and pepper. Pour about ½ cup water into baking dish around squash.
2 Combine cream with sage and garlic in a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Pour into squash halves, dividing evenly.
3 Bake until squash are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese, dividing evenly. Continue baking until cheese is melted and golden, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 4 servings.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home Copyright 2009 by Martha Stewart. Photo copyright 2009 by Kate Sears. Excerpted by permission of Clarkson Potter. All rights reserved.