- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice (or pineapple juice)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 unpeeled firm, sweet plums, cut into chunks
- 1 large stalk celery, sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- salt and pepper
1 In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, sugar, vinegar, pomegranate or pineapple juice, and soy sauce; set aside.
2 Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the plums, celery, and scallions and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the chicken, five-spice powder, salt, and pepper.
3 Stir and cook until the chicken is beginning to brown, another 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat and add the sauce. Stir until it thickens, another minute or so. Serve with steamed rice.
BUY THIS BOOK
From Time For Dinner. Published by Chronicle Books. Copyright 2010 by Chronicle Books. All rights reserved. Reprinted by permission of Chronicle Books.