- 1/2 pound gluten-free wide rice noodles
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, using both white and green parts
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Drain, and set aside.
2 In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, 1⁄3 cup of water, and the fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, sweet chili sauce, canola oil, shallot, and garlic. Add the warm noodles and toss.
3 Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the eggs. Tilt the skillet so the eggs cover the entire inside of the pan. Cook for 30 seconds. Flip the eggs over and cook for 30 seconds more, until the eggs are cooked through. Transfer the egg “pancake” to a cutting board and let it cool. Slice into thin strips and set aside. Top the noodles with the peanuts, sprouts, and scallions. Using a pair of tongs or two large spoons, toss until the noodles are evenly coated. Sprinkle with the cilantro, top with the cooked egg, and serve immediately.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from Deliciously G-Free by Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Copyright © 2012 by Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Excerpted by permission of Ballantine Books, a division of Random House of Canada Limited. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.