Hot chocolateBy Erica Berge of Cooking for Seven
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces chocolate, preferably dark
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup or natural sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (more if you like your whipped cream very sweet)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Chop the chocolate very finely.
2 In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and cream to a low simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally.
3 Add the chocolate, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Whisk vigorously until all of the chocolate has melted. Cook for an additional 4 minutes, whisking constantly.
4 Serve with maple whipped cream if desired. For maple whipped cream, place all ingredients in a bowl and beat until stiff.
Serves 4 generously
Erica Berge is all about comfort food. This 21-year-old has a knack for cooking and enjoys making meals for her family of seven. Check out her blog, Cooking for Seven, for yummy recipes like this one.