Hamper-style basket with lid, approx. 22 x 13 x 12 in.
5 ft. red gingham
Needle and thread
11 1/2 ft of 1-in. velcro
Glue gun and glue sticks
Scraps of floral fabric
1. Measure the inside of the basket, add 1 1/2 in. all around, and cut out a piece of gingham to this size. Cut out the corners, adding a 3/4-in. seam allowance to each side of the flap of material left on the short end of the fabric. This will create neat corners, so that the lining fits snugly inside the basket.
2. Sew the corners together, stopping 1 1/2 in. before you reach the top on all corners. Press open the seams.
3. Fold the raw edges of the lining over to the wrong side by 3/4 in. and again by another 1/4 in. and press. Pin and stitch a strip of Velcro along each edge. Glue the corresponding Velcro strips inside the basket and allow to dry. The Velcro holds the lining firmly in place inside the basket.
4. For each divider, cut a piece of cardboard the width of the basket. Cut two gingham pieces 1 1/2 in. wider and 3 in. longer than the cardboard. Right sides together, taking a 3/4-in seam, sew along three sides. Turn right side out and press. Stitch Velcro along the closed end of the pocket and stitch underneath it. Insert the card and stitch below it. Fold in the raw ends by 3/4 in. and stitch Velcro to the back. Sew the corresponding Velcro pieces to the lining.
5. Cut a piece of cardboard to fit inside the lid of the basket and two rectangles of gingham 1 1/2 in. wider and 3 in. longer than the cardboard. Cut rectangles of floral fabric and hem along one edge. Turn under the raw edges and stitch onto one of the gingham rectangles, leaving the hemmed end open. Cover the cardboard as for the dividers.
6. Sew Velcro to each end fo the panel front. Glue corresponding strips inside the lid. Cut a 4-in. strip of gingham the width of the panel plus 1 1/2 in. Fold in half widthwise, right sides together, and stitch around three sides, taking a 3/4-in. seam. Turn right side out; press. Turn under the raw edges and hand stitch to close. Sew buttons onto the strip and glue onto the lid panel. Velcro the panel to the lid.
Excerpted from Decorating Baskets by Emma Hardy. Copyright 2003 by Cico Books. Excerpted with permission by Laurel Glen Publishing. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.