• Promptly wipe up spilled food or water.
• Wash bowls regularly.
• Protect flooring by placing bowls on a washable placemat or charger plate.
5 The area around the cat litter box
After all, where does kitty step right after she's done her business in her loo?
• Vacuum, then wipe down/mop with vinegar and hot water.
• Alternatively, lay a washable car mat by the litter box. Wash with hot water and dish detergent as needed.
"This actually depends on how vigilantly people in the home wash their hands," says Anne.
• If you have small kids, wipe down knobs as needed or weekly (use a rag and hot soapy water or wet wipes).
• Otherwise, wipe down knobs whenever you clean your baseboards (more frequently on bathroom doorknobs).