Ask if the couple has a wish list
“Don't think you know what the couple wants,” says Catherine Lash, creative director of The Wedding Co. Show and editor of The Wedding Co. Magazine. “If they are registered, use the registry.”
And what if you’re the type of person who likes to veer off the beaten path? You may think you have the best bridal shower gift ideas but the happy couple may disagree. “Ask them if the gift you are thinking of is appropriate and do not be taken aback if they say no,” Catherine says.
Consider the cost
It’s also important to remember that bridal shower gifts aren’t meant to be elaborate, so spend less than you would on a wedding gift, advises Catherine. If your heart is set on a big ticket item you know the couple will adore, split the cost with a few friends and make it a joint gift.
6 bridal shower gift trends
So what makes a great bridal shower gift? Catherine identifies the following trends in gift giving.
- Books relating to a hobby the couple has, like wine tasting, travel, music
- Kitchenware for the couple who loves to cook
- Camera for photography buffs
- Experience gifts, such as a night at the ballet, dinner at a local restaurant or movie passes
- If the couple is working on a renovation project, consider a gift card to Home Depot or Rona. Or, if they love a particular shop, purchase a gift card so they can pick out something they really need. Some no-fail options include: The Bay, Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, CB2, West Elm, Restoration Hardware and Crate and Barrel.
11 classic bridal shower gift ideas we love
Stuck on ideas? Look no further! Here are 11 bridal shower gift ideas to help simplify your shopping.
Plan a beautiful bridal shower with our fun and fabulous tips.