Hotel style: Ink48, New York City
Such is the case with Kimpton's Ink48, which opened in September 2009 and is located on the corner of 48th St. and 11th Ave. Overlooking the Hudson River, Ink48 is situated in an old printing house, a history that is not lost on the new digs. The hotel combines an ultra-modern design with their printing house history to create a environment where guests are encouraged to "make their mark". Meeting rooms are named after fonts (Helvetica, Courier, Garamond), the top-of-the-line restaurant is called PRINT, and the breathtaking rooftop terrace is cleverly called the Press Lounge.
Although the print theme runs throughout the hotel, its effect is simple and subtle -- the interior design, on the other hand, is the hotel's shining point. Designed by award-winning architect David Rockwell, Ink48 is unique, rich and comfortably modern in its style. Guest suites either overlook the Hudson River or the city skyline, and have high ceilings meant to emulate a New York City loft. The hotel's penthouse suite is a 1,100 sq. ft. wonder, complete with a massive terrace and an outdoor deep soaking Jacuzzi.
With a prime location in New York's Hell's Kitchen area, the hotel has a variety of amazing restaurants and nightlife within steps of the front doors -- if you're not sure what you're in the mood for, visit Restaurant Row a few blocks away to peruse the choices. And if you feel like staying local, head up to the rooftop Press Lounge for some late night drinks -- with modern vinyl wicker furniture outside and sleek Barcelona chairs inside, the terrace offers the most stylish outdoor environment in the city.
Ink48 houses 222 guest rooms, starting at $279 US per night.
What we love:
- Loft-like ceilings exude an authentic New York City living space.
- A deep-soaking tub is situated in the main living space of the City View rooms, allowing you to bathe while enjoying an unobstructed view of NYC.
- The colour palette of white, red and brown used throughout the rooms ties into the abstract art above each of the beds.
Located adjacent to the Ink48 lobby, PRINT restaurant offers mouth-watering cuisine within an eco-friendly space.
What we love:
- PRINT's culinary team sources ingredients from regional farms, ensuring freshness and locally-supported food is a top priority.
- Prices are very reasonable for the quality of food, with entrees starting at $15 US for lobster fettuccine.
- The dining room plays up the industrial aspect of a lofty printing house with its cement pillars and industrial glass pendant lights.
The lobby's cocktail lounge, located between the hotel's front desk and PRINT restaurant, is the perfect place to enjoy a drink before dinner or reserve a den for a group of friends on a night out.
What we love:
- The rich colours and soft textures of the dens complement the industrial vibe of the bar.
- The dens offer a more intimate setting, perfect for birthdays or other celebrations with a small group of friends.
- Switches on the walls of the dens say things like 'Thirsty' and will alert the bartender that you'd like to order drinks. Genius!
For more information or to make reservations, please visit the Ink48 website.