Photography: Michael Nangreaves | Producer: Christine Hanlon
We’ve set a twist-on-traditional sitting room for holiday entertaining on both a casual drop-in and a VIP guest budget. Can you tell the difference?
1. Three-light adjustable triple floor lamp, $2,830, unionlf.com.
2. Vita bust, $109, cb2.ca.
3. Kate Spade New York Georgia credenza, $7,998, theartshoppe.com.
4. Emil Bergere armchairs, $3,996, theartshoppe.com.
5. Handcrafted New Zealand rug, $920, gusmodern.com.
6. Life at Home ornaments, $10, superstore.ca.
7. Toss cushions, $100, homesense.ca.
8. Odette decanter, $169, cb2.ca.
1. Three-light bubble floor lamp, $796, eltemkt.com.
2. Bust, $25, homesense.ca.
3. Oak Moloney credenza, $3,325, eltemkt.com.
4. Louise armchairs, $798, structube.com.
5. Nödebo rug, $379, ikea.ca.
6. Life at Home ornaments, $29, superstore.ca.
7. Toss cushions, $60, homesense.ca.
8. Suave decanter, $30, cb2.ca.
CREATE A ROOM LIKE THIS NO MATTER YOUR BUDGET WITH A FEW SIMPLE DESIGN TIPS:
1. The formulation of a beautiful holiday vignette:
- A textured backdrop: Create a fun backdrop by lining a wall with IKEA’s Vårsköna drapery panels, which remind us of tracks in the snow.
- Whimsical greenery: Set an evergreen branch in a vintage vessel and deck it with a few baubles for an ersatz tabletop tree.
- Unexpected touches: Dress a stately bust for the occasion by wrapping dainty twinkle lights around its base.
- Hanging decor: Make a substantial splash with inexpensive oversized white paper stars.
2. Opt for a gradient rug.
Move over ombré. Let a new multi-toned look take the floor. Made up of distinct stripes in gradually darkening shades of the same hue, the High and Low gradient rugs are graphic and funky. For a season-appropriate pop, we chose emerald green and its variations, but we’re seeing this trend in a variety of colours.
3. Add Old World touches and play with height.
Named after King Gustav III, who ruled Sweden from 1771 to 1792, Gustavian chairs are defined by their rectilinear profiles and Neo-Classical details, such as botanical carvings and fluted columnar legs. Upholstered in vinyl, the High seats are stylish and sensible. A tiered serving tray makes for effortless holiday entertaining. We set this chic porcelain piece on the coffee table and loaded it with sweets for tea time, but it is equally at home on the credenza as a place to display glasses and barware for an elegant drinks station.
4. Pour your heart out.
Whether it’s machine-made or handcrafted, a chic crystal decanter takes your presentation up a notch, making your party feel special.