High/low: Glam office space
High or low: Can you tell the difference?
- ARTWORK Faces series by Scott McEwan. L'Atelier, 416-966-0200, $900.
- BOOKSHELF Thomas Pheasant for Baker Furniture mahogany Étagère bookshelf in Dovetail Grey. Studio B, $10,525.
- ARTWORK Oil-on-canvas Violet Gaze by Geoff Farnsworth. Canvas Gallery, $1,250.
- VASE Jonathan Adler Dora Maar vase. Micasa Toronto, $400.
- LAMP Glass Chloe lamp in aqua. Barrymore Furniture, $470.
- SCULPTURE Jonathan Adler gorilla sculpture. Micasa Toronto, $279.
- GLASSES Diane von Furstenburg highball glassesin Opening Night (stripe) and Sandstone (polka dot), $85 per set of 4. The Bay, $170.
- TRAY JM Piers yellow glass Outrageous tray. 1212 Decor, $490.
- SCULPTURE Jonathan Adler Baboon sculpture. Micasa Toronto, $145.
- BOX Black-and-white bone chevron box. L’Atelier, 416-966-0200, $479.
- BOX Eight-times lacquered teal wooden box. L’Atelier, 416-966-0200, $129.
- CHAIR Pink silk velvet French Heritage Vincent Occasional Bergère chair with Vauvray finish. 1212 Decor, $3,400.
- DESK Turner desk in Raven. Ethan Allen, $899.
- BENCH Toscane Linen Nailhead bench. Restoration Hardware, $395 US.
- CHAIR Polycarbonate gloss chair in smoked grey. Art Shoppe, $399.
- DRUM STOOL Robert Kuo Jie drum stool in white bronze. Studio B, $3,240.
- RUG Vintage Collection Nepal wool-and-silk classic rug in orange, 8' x 10'.Elte, $7,595.
- ARTWORK Portrait sketch. Value Village, $20.
- SHELVES Engineered-wood Ascend shelves in Taupe, $433 each (55"), $270 each (27"). Crate and Barrel, $1,839.
- VASE Ceramic face vase. Urban Barn, $28.
- ARTWORK Acrylic-on-canvas Mao Minute artwork by Jacques Bossé. Canvas Gallery, $600.
- LAMP Ashlor ceramic classic lamp in Jade. Living lighting, $119.
- SCULPTURE Ceramic bulldog sculpture. HomeSense, $13.
- GLASSES White Dawn Tumbler glasses, $6 each. Urban Barn, $48.
- TRAY Engineered-wood Small Rectangular Laquer tray in Peridot. West Elm, $29.
- SCULPTURE Resin rhino. HomeSense, $13.
- BOX Cream-and-mauve bone Moroccan-style box. L'Atelier, 416-966-0200, $399.
- BOX Blue box. HomeSense, $13.
- CHAIR Pink velvet bergère chair. HomeSense, $199.
- BENCH Cotton tufted bench. HomeSense, $150.
- DESK Pine Cornwall Console desk in Espresso Rub. Urban Barn, $499.
- CHAIR Polycarbonate Modern chair in Smoke, FurnitureToronto.com, $290.
- DRUM STOOL Mirror-topped Z drum stool in Gold Finish, 1212 Decor, $950.
- RUG Second Life Turkish wool rug in Orange, 7' x 10'. Elte, $2,555.
- PAINT Paint the backs of the shelves in bright colours to attract the eye. (As shown above: Dragon Fire S-G paint, Behr.com.)
- LAYER Smaller objets with larger ones on your shelf will lend interest and depth.
- STACK Place items like books and boxes vertically and horizontally at different heights to engage the eye.
- REPEAT Repeat similar items to create a sense of chic symmetry that unifies the vignette.
Bold bookshelf hues
Pick your own preferred bookshelf hue-just make it as bold as these!
(1) Synergy SW6938, sherwin-williams.com.
(2) Sultana MSL101, Martha Stewart Living, homedepot.ca
(3) Canterbury Lane 7ORR 17 373, cil.ca.
Whether antique or newtique, Bergère chairs are easy to identify. Characterized by their padded arms and backs, carved wood frames and oversized seats, they’re as fitting for the 18th-century french semiformal salons where they originated as they are suitable for French country style homes today.
(1) HIGH Pink silk velvet French Heritage Vincent Occasional with Vauvray finish. 1212 Decor, $3400.
(2) LOW Pink velvet chair. HomeSense, $199.
Punch it up with prints!
Take your Bergère from traditional, with soft silk, velvet, damask or toile, to modern, with bold geometrics, bright colours and rough distressed fabrics like linen or burlap.
(1) Designers Guild, Kirkton in Charcoal, $447 per yard.
(2) Designers Guild, Marlia in Rasperry, $303 per yard.
(3) Rowel in Pool, $110 per yard.
(4) Robert Allen Ikat Fret in Mango, $62 per yard.
(All fabrics are from macfabfabrics.com.)
The guiding light
While a desk can shoulder the weight of the work you've done, the right lamp can illuminate the way to a brand new bright idea or two. That perfect desk-lamp relationship is reflected in the three-part harmony of these table lamps: Soft boyish blue gone girlie with feminie curves and a subtle shine at their base.
(1) LOW Ashlor ceramic classic in Jade. Living Lighting, $119.
(2) HIGH Glass Chloe in Aqua. Barrymore Furniture, $470.
Smouldering hot chairs
Yesterday, it was all about the transparent ghost chairs first realized by Philippe Starck for Kartell. But today, those ghosts are getting smoked out of rooms by these smouldering hot chairs with their cloudy grey, moody sophistication.
(1) Polycarbonate gloss in Smoked Grey. Art Shoppe, $399.
(2) Kartell polycarbonate Frilly in Smoked Grey. Quasi Modo Modern Furniture, $329.
(3) Idealsedia Cromoto in Methcrylate Brown. FurnitureToronto.com, $259.
(4) Polycarbonate and chrome-plated steel Tobias in Grey. IKEA, $99.
Want more high/low? Test your eye for budget-friendly finds with our high/low quiz!