High/low: Rustic powder room
High or low: Can you tell the difference?
- MIRROR Iron Lander mirror in Polished Chrome. elte.com, $685.
- PENDANT LIGHTS Polished nickel Wire Cage. greatlighting.com, $690 ($345 each).
- SWING ARM MIRROR Polished chrome Mevedo mirror. gingersbath.com, $216.
- BULLDOG CLIP pack of 3. umbra.com, $20.
- DISPENSER Waterworks acrylic Glacier dispenser. gingersbath.com, $246.
- FAUCET Jado single-lever Glance faucet in Polished Chrome. romanbathcentre.com, $589.
- VANITY MV white lacquer four-drawer vanity 30" x 34". tanyas.ca, $995.
- RUBBER DUCK Yellow rubber duck. potterybarn.com, $7.
- STOOL Solid teak stool. bedbathandbeyond.ca, $159.
- TOWELS Waterworks 100% Egyptian cotton Gotham towels. gingersbath.com, $228 ($52 - $88 each).
- SIDECHAIR Beachwood scoop sidechair. crateandbarrel.ca, $349.
- MIRROR AND HARDWARE Vintage mirror. flikandcompany.com, $65. Mirror-hanging hardware. lowes.ca, $8.
- PENDANT LIGHTS Chrome wire cage. elte.com, $390 ($195 each).
- SWING ARM MIRROR Chrome wall-mount Magnifying Swivel. bedbathandbeyond.ca, $50.
- BULLDOG CLIP pack of 2. staples.ca, $4.
- DESPENSER Avondale lotion despenser. bedbathandbeyond.ca, $25.
- FAUCET Pfister single-level Skye faucet in Polished Chrome. lowes.ca, $148.
- VANITY White two-drawer Godmorgon/Bräviken vanity 32¼" x 31½" x 19¼". ikea.ca, $449.
- RUBBER DUCK Yellow rubber duck. dollarama.ca, $2.
- STOOL Pine stool. homesense.ca, $69.
- TOWELS Cotton Drisoft towels. bedbathandbeyond, $26 ($8 - $9 each).
- SIDECHAIR Birch Sigurd sidechair. ikea.ca, $50.
Soap bars, begone! We’re sick of your mushy scum and messy look, so we’re moving you out to make room for these sleek soap dispensers. With their shapely silhouettes, they offer us that liquid lather that keeps not only our hands feeling so fresh and so clean, but our bathroom counters, too.
(1) Waterworks acrylic Glacier. gingersbath.com, $246.
(2) Avondale. bedbathandbeyond.ca, $25.
(3) Stile ceramic Jade. romanbathcentre.com, $28.
(4) Ceramic Variations. homeoutfitters.com, $10.
(5) Glass Pure. gingersbath.com, $115.
(6) Stile resin Cube. romanbathcentre.com, $30.
Porcelain, ceramic and natural stone, oh my! When it comes down to it, choosing the right floor tile can be downright difficult. Natural stone is nearly indestructible but more expensive and difficult to maintain (particularly with porous options like limestone and slate) than its man-made counterparts, porcelain and ceramic. Porcelain is slightly stronger than ceramic, but both are prone to chips and cracks. You can get the raw stone look in many different floor materials, but be sure to choose the one that’s right for your lifestyle.
(1) Blue limestone, 12" x 24". saltillo-tiles.com, $10 per sq. ft.
(2) Porcelain Evolution in Light Grey, 12" x 24". lowes.ca, $3 per sq. ft.
(3) Porcelain Grigio, 12" x 24". americanolean.com, $7 per sq. ft.
(4) Honed marble in Antique Grey, 12" x 24". $16 per sq. ft.
(5) concrete porcelain Fuse, 18" x 36". saltillo-tiles.com, $9 per sq. ft.
Here’s an unexpected way to hang small canvas paintings in a casual cottage-style bathroom: secure them WITH an oversized bulldog clip, hang the clip from a small nail, let the artwork rest loosely against the wall and Voiàl! An impromptu art gallery that suits its surroundings.
(1) Metal Bulldog clip. staples.ca, $4 per pack of 2.
(2) Metal Bulldog clip. umbra.com, $20 per pack of 3.
A plush pile of bath towels like this makes us want to take another shower just to have an excuse to dry off again. Ribbed and waffle-print towels add luxe texture, but true luxury lies in towels made of hand-picked Egyptian cotton, with long-fibres that absorb more moisture and only get softer with age. But buyer beware: The purest options will say 100 percent Egyptian cotton on the front label; All others are usually blends.
(1) Waterworks 100% Egyptian cotton Greenway. gingersbath.com, $106.
(2) Cotton/modal Soho. bedbathandbeyond.ca, $25.
(3) White cotton Ribbed. crateandbarrel.ca, $30.
(4) 100% Egyptian cotton Cecile Waffle. gingersbath.com, $34.
(5) Hotel Collection Turkish cotton Ribbed. thebay.com, $30.
(6) Waterworks 100% Egyptian cotton Gotham. gingersbath.com, $88.
Rustic retreats rule, but when it comes to bathroom designs, we prefer the sleek, modern edge offered by elements like these polished chrome single-lever faucets. Oft called the jewellery of the home, these types of fixtures add a dazzling touch to even the plainest white vanities, taking your cottage-style bathroom from functional to sensational.
(1) Jado single-lever Glance faucet in Polished Chrome. romanbathcentre.com, $589.
(2) Psfister single-lever Skye faucet in Polished Chrome. lowes.ca, $148.
When Al Pacino famously said “Vanity is my favourite sin,” he must have been making an unabashed splurge on a beautiful bathroom version. Streamlined and modern, these vanities just beg you to push your financial limits, whatever they may be, and make a purchase. Your morning routine will thank you for it, they promise.
(1) Reve wall-mount in Brilliant Blanc. kohler.ca, $3,278.
(2) Godmorgon/Odensvik with two drawers in High-Gloss White. i kea.ca, $399.
(3) Lillången with two doors in White. ikea.ca, $239.