Recipe: Balsamic roast chicken with caramelized pearl onions, olives and tomatoes
A savoury one-pot dish that marries succulent chicken with savoury vegetables.
- 1 3-lb whole free-range organic chicken, cut into 8 parts
- 1 tsp Maldon sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 4-oz slab smoked bacon, cut into large cubes
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled and halved
- 1 tbsp each: chopped fresh rosemary and thyme
- 2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup small green olives
- ½ pint grape tomatoes
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Season the chicken pieces all over with salt and pepper.
2 Heat the olive oil over high heat in a large cast-iron casserole pan or Dutch oven and sear the chicken pieces in two batches, turning occasionally, until well browned all over.
3 Remove the chicken from the pan. Turn the heat down to medium and add the bacon and pearl onions; cook until the onions are caramelized.
4 Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the oil from the pan and return the chicken pieces. Add the herbs, vinegar and wine and bring to a boil.
5 Add the olives and tomatoes and bake, covered, for 45 to 50 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Serves 4 to 6.