Garlic scapes make a fantastic addition to pesto.
A fresh, garlic pesto perfect for scattering over pizza and salads.
- 4 to 5 fresh garlic scapes, cut into 2"-long pieces (discard the bulb)
- 1 to 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 to 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup walnuts or slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil or cold-pressed canola oil
1 Place everything except the oil into the bowl of a food processor.
2 Pour the oil in a thin stream through the feed tube while pulsing, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally, until the mixture is puréed. Serve immediately.
Makes about 2 cups