Image: Mowie Kay
In her latest cookbook, Wine Love's Kitchen, author Fiona Beckett has created recipes that incorporate wine as an ingredient. One of our favourites is this one for savoury tarts. Serve them with a red wine from the Côtes du Rhône Villages in France.
- 1 sheet puff pastry (about 11 oz) 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 31⁄2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 9 oz shallots, peeled and halved
- 14 oz chestnut or cremini mushrooms, quartered 1/3 cup medium-dry Madeira or Amontillado sherry
- 1 rounded tbsp all-purpose flour
- 11⁄4 cups vegetable stock (preferably mushroom or onion)
- 3 cups Tuscan kale, stems removed
- 1 cup unsweetened cooked chestnuts, halved 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, for serving
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, for serving
1 Preheat the oven to 400 ̊F. Unroll the puff pastry sheet and place on a lightly floured surface. Cut into four pieces, then score each piece about 5/8-inch from the outer edges. Place on a baking sheet and prick the centre of each piece several times with a fork. Glaze the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg yolk, then bake until puffy, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 ̊F, bake for another 10 minutes, then remove from the oven; set aside.
2 Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large sauce- pan over medium heat. Add the butter and shallots and cook until the shallots begin to brown; stir in the mushrooms; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook, uncov- ered, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. Add the Madeira and cook until it reduces. Stir in the flour, then add as much of the stock as you need to make a thick sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes; check the seasoning and set the sauce aside.
3 Roughly tear the kale leaves into pieces and place in a large saucepan. Cover with boiling salted water and heat until the water returns to a boil; cook until tender, a couple of minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Fold the kale into the mushroom mixture; add the chestnuts and return the mixture to the heat.
4 Return the pastry to the oven to warm. When heated, spoon the mushroom mixture evenly over the pastry pieces. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and salt and pepper; serve immediately.
Pair with: a red from the Côtes du Rhône Villages in France.
Excerpted from Wine Lover's Kitchen by Fiona Beckett. Recipes Copyright © 2017. Excerpted by permission of Simon and Schuster. All rights reserved.
"Wine Lover's Kitchen: Delicious Recipes for Cooking With Wine" by Fiona Beckett, $32, amazon.ca.