Image: Maya Visnyei | Food Styling: Claire Stubbs | Prop Styling: Lara McGraw
All you need is 20 minutes to whip up this Mediterranean dish, making it a fabulous meal to add to your weeknight dinner rotation.
- ¼ English cucumber, seeded
- 1 cup 2% Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 4¼ tsp garlic powder, divided
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp each: salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley or mint
- 4 Greek-style pitas, lightly toasted
- 2 cups packed baby spinach or baby kale
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 Grate the cucumber and wrap in a clean tea towel; squeeze to remove any excess liquid. In a small bowl, stir together the cucumber, yogurt, 2¼ teaspoons of the garlic powder and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice; set aside.
2 Add the oil to a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat; cook the beef, onion, remaining garlic powder, oregano, lemon zest, salt and pepper, breaking up the beef with a spoon until no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat; stir in the parsley and the remaining lemon juice.
3 Spread the cucumber tzatziki over each pita and add the spinach; divide the beef mixture evenly over the tzatziki. Top with the tomatoes, season to taste with salt and serve warm.
Excerpted from Canadian Living's Mediterranean Flavours by The Canadian Living Test Kitchen. Recipes Copyright © 2018. Excerpted by permission by Juniper Publishing. All rights reserved.