Recipe: Green onion pork burgers
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped green onions
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) dry bread crumbs
- 1 green hot pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Chinese rice wine or dry sherry (or 1 tsp/5 mL balsamic vinegar)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) white pepper
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground pork
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 3 cups (750 mL) shredded napa cabbage
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- ½ cup (125 mL) thinly sliced sweet red pepper
1 In large bowl, whisk together egg, onions, bread crumbs, hot pepper (if using), garlic, soy sauce, fish sauce, wine, ginger, sesame oil, white pepper and hot pepper sauce; mix in pork. Shape into four ¾-inch (2 cm) thick patties.
2 Grill on greased grill over medium heat, turning once, until no longer pink inside or digital thermometer inserted sideways registers 160°F (71°C), about 15 minutes.
3 In large bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, salt and hot pepper flakes. Add cabbage, carrot and red pepper; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 burgers and 1-1/2 cups (4 servings) of Napa slaw.
PER BURGER: about 309 cal, 25 g pro, 18 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 10 g carb, 1 g fibre, 116 mg chol, 763 mg sodium. % RDI: 6% calcium, 16% iron, 6% vit A, 15% vit C, 13% folate.
PER SERVING OF SLAW: about 38 cal, 1 g pro, 1 g total fat (trace sat. fat), 7 g carb, 1 g fibre, 0 mg chol, 297 mg sodium. % RDI: 4% calcium, 2% iron, 53% vit A, 87% vit C, 23% folate.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from Canadian Living: Make It Tonight by The Canadian Living Test Kitchen © 2011 by The Canadian Living Test Kitchen. Excerpted by permission of Transcontinental. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.