Serves: 4 to 6
Prep time: 8 to 10 minutes
Way to grill: direct medium heat (350° to 450°F)
Grilling time: 4 to 6 minutes
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 12 medium carrots, each 6 to 8 inches long and about 1 inch wide at the stem, peeled and trimmed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 Fill a large saucepan with water to within a few inches of the top. Add 2 teaspoons of the salt to the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the carrots to the boiling water and cook until tender but still crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the saucepan and plunge into an ice bath to cool them rapidly. Then remove the carrots from the ice bath and drain.
2 Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
3 In a large bowl combine the melted butter, honey, orange zest, vinegar, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt. Add the carrots to the bowl and toss to coat them evenly.
4 Brush the cooking grates clean. Remove the carrots from the bowl and let the excess butter mixture drip back into the bowl. Set the bowl aside. Grill the carrots over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until lightly caramelized, 4 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally. Place the carrots back into bowl with the remaining butter mixture. Toss to coat thoroughly. Garnish with the parsley and serve warm.
©2008 Weber-Stephen Products Co. Recipe from Weber’s Way to Grill™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission.